Digital out - Is there a difference in cards?
Jul 29, 2004 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Johncan

New Head-Fier
In my main system (XP Pro, PIII 500 MHZ, 384 MB SDRAM), I use a Sonica (1205 drivers) with Foobar 8.2 and Kernel Streaming. My Foobar settings are 24-bit output, no dithering, and no resampling. The only DSP in use is volume at -12 dB because my DAC is an unmodded ART DI/O which outputs higher than most other DACs. Would there be any improvement by going to a Chaintech AV-710 and using the digital out? I am thinking ASIO and high bit rate maybe helpful. What are your opinions?

Here is my chain:

Foobar -> Sonica -> Monarchy DIP (1st version) -> ART DI/O -> McIntosh C32 preamp -> Grado SR-80 or B&K ST-140 -> Polk Monitor 7s

John

Jul 29, 2004 at 3:15 PM Post #2 of 5
There probably wouldn't be a big improvement. If you want an improvement you should get an EMU 1212m and use it's digital outs (they're some of the best one review magazine has seen).

Jul 29, 2004 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 5
Hi John and welcome.

Sonica -> Monarchy DIP (1st version) -> ART DI/O

I think there is a difference in digital outs but I'm not sure you are ready to change cards yet. The system has to be resolving enough to make out any differences really.

If you're looking for a better card, try the emu 0404. See if it's analog out's is better than DI/Os. If it is to you then you've just simplified your chain.
wink.gif
If not (which I doubt), then you've just acquired a better digital out card.

What digital cable do you have? Glass toslink is recommended. I use a SonicWave one.

Do you have any power conditioners? Monster PC1000 $60 @ buy.com is a good entry level one.

Do you have the stock power supply for the DI/O? The Stancor power supply is recommended.

For now a cheap free upgrade. Run your DI/O in 44.1 or 88.2 modes instead of external sync (the green light). The sound is cleaner to me.

Jul 29, 2004 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 5
Ian,

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate them.

Quote:

What digital cable do you have? Glass toslink is recommended. I use a SonicWave one.

I have a DH Labs glass toslink from the Sonica to the DIP. I then have a DH Labs coaxial cable to the ART DI/O DAC. From the ART DI/O I have modded DH Labs Silver Sonic BL interconnects with 1/4 plugs on one end and RCA on the other.

Quote:

Do you have any power conditioners?

The ART DI/O, the DIP and the rest stereo are plugged into a power conditioner... a Vans Evers Super Companion II. The computer needs to be on a power conditioner. It is plugged into a different outlet and I use a spare "audiophile" power cord on the computer (someone gave it to me).

Quote:

Do you have the stock power supply for the DI/O? The Stancor power supply is recommended.

I have the Stancor PS.

Quote:

Run your DI/O in 44.1 or 88.2 modes instead of external sync

I do that as well!

Jul 29, 2004 at 3:49 PM Post #5 of 5
Well it sounds we are on the same page
smily_headphones1.gif

Why don't you try the emu 0404 or 1212m then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back