Digital out from Ipod - Why so expensive??
Aug 6, 2009 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

adiZero

100+ Head-Fier
I am not satisfied with the SQ with my Ipod classic. Even with an external amp and okey headphones; i still think it's 'crappy'.

Why the h*** is it so difficult for someone smart to come up with a cheap solution for a dock that makes a digital out from the ipods? I know there are things like Wadia and so on, but hey...they are so expensive.

Any reflections?

Aug 7, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #4 of 13
Why didn't i just buy a Iriver 120/140 in the first place??? It's even uglier and better than the ipod classic....

BTW: What's the cheapest solution out there (to get a digital out from an ipod)? Anyone know??

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #5 of 13
adiZero;5910462 said:
I am not satisfied with the SQ with my Ipod classic. Even with an external amp and okey headphones; i still think it's 'crappy'.

Why the h*** is it so difficult for someone smart to come up with a cheap solution for a dock that makes a digital out from the ipods? I know there are things like Wadia and so on, but hey...they are so expensive.

Any reflections?[/QUOTE
adiZero;5910462 said:
]

My simplest solution is changing to Sony X 1000, Cowon D2, or Hisoundaudio's AMP3. Their sound quality are approved to be best in the market. Please chech to their own thread.

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #6 of 13
the cheapest (and only) is the wadia. Why don't you just use the digital out from the computer you use to load the ipod?

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the cheapest (and only) is the wadia. Why don't you just use the digital out from the computer you use to load the ipod?

I use my computer for my main rig, but would love to have the possibility to use an external DAC for my portable solution, like Ipod classic - external DAC - Headphone amp - Headphones.

I will look into the cowon D2, mentioned above. A lot of people seem to prefer this in terms of SQ compared to the ipod.

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #8 of 13
The Cowon D2 has no digital out nor do the AMP3 or Sony X1000 however.

There are no DAPs in production right now that have digital outs. Considering you already own ipod, getting a wadia would probably be the next best step for what you are lookin for.

Aug 7, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by adiZero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why didn't i just buy a Iriver 120/140 in the first place??? It's even uglier and better than the ipod classic....

But I can do this
ksc75smile.gif
yeah H140 is a bit bulky half the thickness would be nice.

Aug 7, 2009 at 9:28 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also the Krell Kidd and also some higher end car audio system (I think Alpine amogst others).

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #11 of 13
Licensing fees to Apple maybe?
Quite sure Apple would file a lawsuit if someone (a company) "broke" into the iPod chipset to tap digital signal.

Aug 9, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #12 of 13
Let's not lose sight of the fact that Apple is in business to make money. The Headfi community is a small niche segment of the entire Ipod buying public.

Imagine you have to be the guy to go to Steve Jobs and say, "There is a small group of people on this website called Headfi.org that want digital out. It adds an additional $10 million to implement across the product line."

Steve Jobs probable reply, "Ah, no. I don't need ANYTHING getting in the way of making my quarter." (quarterly earnings reports are what corporations/CEO's live or die by)

Aug 9, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Cowon D2 has no digital out nor do the AMP3 or Sony X1000 however.

There are no DAPs in production right now that have digital outs. Considering you already own ipod, getting a wadia would probably be the next best step for what you are lookin for.

Why is must necessary digital out? we need the final decent sound quality than not the decent set up or function, right?

Please refer to Cown , Sony, and AMP3 thread to chech their sound quality comments. I remember in some posts, Sony X 1060 and AMP3 have a very superior buit in AMPLIFIER which reported can reproduc the perfect sound quality even better than some DAC + amplifier Combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back