Digital In Audio from 360/PS3 to SoundBlaster PC Soundcard, screeching sounds.
Nov 17, 2012 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

HyeVltg3

New Head-Fier
I used have all my consoles hooked up to my 19" LCD TV Monitor, VGA  for PC and Component for the consoles hooked to a component video switch so I could share one input to all consoles.

Recently my 19" died and I had to upgrade to a 23.6" and because the time was right it created a domino effect and I upgrade my PC too, the LED monitor only has VGA, DVI and HDMI  inputs and no speakers.

So my plan was to bump up to a HDMI switch and have my PS3, 360 and PC outputs hooked to the HDMI switch and have the switch output to the monitor in HDMI.

This solved all my video problems.

Now my main problem is Audio.

My PC has the Soundblaster Recon3d Professional PCIe sound card installed.
Which has an Optical In & Out. So I purchased a simple cable off of eBay and hooked it from my PS3 to my sound  card and no matter what audio setting I set the PS3 at I get Screeching-only sounds coming from my speakers, everything's enabled.
Same result with the 360 but if its set to Digital Stereo, I get weird metal/tunnel-like sound when playing anything sounds ridiculously crappy.
Cant change the soundcard as its over its return period as of today and I dont have a money growin' tree in my backyard.

I'm hoping someone who has Optical working with a similar setup can help.
I would change the cable but I can clearly see the red light on the opposite end if one end is plugged in and a new cable costs ~$25 (local store).
Been trying for a week now googling and seeing if anyone else's solutions work. but nada.

Please help, thank you.

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #2 of 8
Oooooh.... where to begin? Let's see...

1. The screeching noises sound like undecoded Dolby Digital or DTS audio.

2. Creative has specific article on this: http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=107680

For the sake of clarity, is this your set-up?
Code:
 /---- HDMI -------=> Switch -- HDMI --> LED Monitor
 / /
Console -- HDMI
 \ /
 \-- Optical --> PC -- Optical(?) --> Speakers

Nov 18, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #4 of 8
As you can see from the article on Creative's website, it's not really going to work.

If it's not too late, have you considered returning your new LED monitor and getting another hybrid TV/monitor? Samsung has a large line of such.

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 8
the monitor is not returnable. its an opened-box  purchase which was used at an event for one day. I was only able to get it because I knew the guys that work at my local store, I got the monitor about ~50-60% cheaper than its retail price.

So what you're saying is that my problem isn't my soundcard its my monitor? according to the article, I see no mention of where the monitor is involved.

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #6 of 8
Technically, the problem lies with your sound card.

I had suggested a TV/monitor hybrid due to the presence of speakers and component input, like the one you had before. That way you could go with something similar to your old set-up (consoles to TV via HDMI or component).

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #7 of 8
Ah, i see now, but no I cant go back. already spent $$ on each HDMI cable connecting all devices.

If I were to do this with a fresh start, do I HAVE to have a receiver or is that just the "usual" method?

Code:
  /---- HDMI -------=> Switch -- HDMI --> LED Monitor / / Console -- HDMI \ / \-- Optical --> PC ---- > REVCEIVER --> 2.1 speakers.

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #8 of 8
Adjusting your sound card and console's settings according to the Creative article should allow basic (stereo) audio on your current set-up. If it doesn't work for you, then I can't think of an easy way around that without resorting to adapters. You can get a converter to convert your consoles' component outputs to VGA (for your monitor) and 3.5mm (for your speakers). These can be had for anywhere from 30-90 USD, depending on which one you get, where you live, and where you buy it. A switch or multi-console cable before the converter would help on the video side. Unless your speakers have multiple source inputs, you'd need one between your consoles and PC.

An example of such a converter: www.xcm.cc/xcm_1080p_megacool_vga_box.htm
That particular converter comes with a VGA & 3.5mm input as well so you might be able to hook your PC's outputs to it and have it also work as a switch. It does require 2 USB ports for power, which may be a problem.

As a side note, there's an official X360 VGA cable available. I don't remember if it also has a 3.5mm plug on it for audio as well. There isn't such an easy solution for the PS3.

Code:
VIDEO SIDE:
Console -- Component --> Converter -- VGA --=> LED Monitor
 /
 PC -- HDMI ----------------------------

AUDIO SIDE:
Console -- Component --> Converter -- 3.5mm --=> Switch or Y-adapter (if needed) --> 2.1 Speakers
 /
 PC -- 3.5mm -----------------------------

Getting a receiver would not only greatly simplify wiring given your set-up, but potentially allow multi-channel audio:
Code:
Console -- HDMI -- -- HDMI --> LED Monitor
 \ /
 ==> Receiver
 / \
 PC -- HDMI -- --3.5mm --> 2.1 Speakers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back