Digital Camera resource?
Mar 10, 2007 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

aaroncort

Banned
Hi dudes! It seems that we're more than just headphone fans here, we seem to be total gearheads! I've notices multiple camera threads here the past few days and think I've been bitten by the bug. I've never owned a digital camera and haven't operated a 35mm camera since college. I'm looking for a good resource on budget digital cameras. I'm looking for one that pretty easy to use but also can be manually adjusted in case I want to go to crazy town with it. I'm willing to spend about 300 bucks if somebody here can recommend something to me. Thanks guys and gals!

Mar 10, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #3 of 22
I also would be interested in hearing about some recommended budget digital cameras.

Thanks
600smile.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #4 of 22
My favorite digital camera review site.... probably more then you would ever want to know...

http://www.dpreview.com/

Mar 10, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My favorite digital camera review site.... probably more then you would ever want to know...

http://www.dpreview.com/

you just sent me into a crazy time warp for the past 20 minutes! Gosh that's a lot of information. The canon power shot series seems to be a safe bet for a beginner like me. I'll do a little more reading as see if I'm willling to spend some extra money on a better camera. Thanks for the replies and keep them coming if anybody as anything else to add.

Mar 10, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #6 of 22
Most compact digicams perform very poorly in low light because manufacturers use tiny sensors that simply don't collect enough light to generate a clean signal. The one exception to this general rule is one Fuji line (F30, F31fd and F40fd).

You didn't specify what 35mm camera you were using. If it was a SLR, you can actually get DSLRs for not that much more (Pentax *ist DL were selling for about $350 after rebate a year ago or so). Any digital SLR will blow any compact digicam out of the water in terms of quality.

Mar 10, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #8 of 22
nothing in the budget line of point and shoots will beat the fujis that majid mentioned for low-light photography. i've been eyeing the f30 for awhile now...

i've also been interested in the canon sd700 IS and the a710 IS, both of which have image stabilization on them...the a710 IS is $240 shipped at dell home right now, which is a great price.

but note that PMA is running right now and there are a ton of new cameras being introduced, many of which are tiny, have image stabilization, face-detection technology (don't know how useful this is)...if you're willing to wait a month or a few months, you'll have a lot more options.

the nikon d40 looks like a pretty great budget dSLR, which can be had for just a little bit more than some of the higher-end point and shoots...

Mar 10, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #9 of 22
yeah I can wait a few months before I buy. It might be neat to see the new line when they come out. Also when the come out it could lower the cost of current models which would also be worth the wait. See you guys in a couple of months!

Mar 12, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but note that PMA is running right now and there are a ton of new cameras being introduced, many of which are tiny, have image stabilization, face-detection technology (don't know how useful this is)...if you're willing to wait a month or a few months, you'll have a lot more options.

In my experience, image stabilization in small cameras is not that effective, certainly not the 3 stops marketers claim. There just isn't enough of a profit margin in them to build in an advanced IS system like that in Canon or Nikon IS/VR lenses with gyros. This is particularly bad with cameras that do not have an optical viewfinder, as you have to hold them at arm's length to frame the image, thus amplifying shake (as opposed to an optical VF, where squeezing the camera against your face stabilizes it).

The best bet is to start with a camera with high ISO capabilities. The F30 will serve perfectly acceptable images up to ISO 800 or so. Most compacts struggle even with ISO 100.

Mar 12, 2007 at 8:52 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my experience, image stabilization in small cameras is not that effective, certainly not the 3 stops marketers claim. There just isn't enough of a profit margin in them to build in an advanced IS system like that in Canon or Nikon IS/VR lenses with gyros. This is particularly bad with cameras that do not have an optical viewfinder, as you have to hold them at arm's length to frame the image, thus amplifying shake (as opposed to an optical VF, where squeezing the camera against your face stabilizes it).

The best bet is to start with a camera with high ISO capabilities. The F30 will serve perfectly acceptable images up to ISO 800 or so. Most compacts struggle even with ISO 100.

so the image stabilization in the sd700 IS, for example, will not be as good as the IS on my nikon 18-200VR? i've not used any point and shoots with IS, but many seem to think that it does make a difference...if not the purported 3 stops, then is 2 stops worth it? one stop?

i've been pretty amazed by the high ISO capabilities of the f30...but it doesn't seem to do very well in sunlight and has horrible purple fringing...is the f31/f41 better in these areas? didn't see any updated f-series fujis at PMA.

Mar 12, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the site. I will spend hours on it.

Oh man Ken, don't do it!!! I've already seen you sucked into one expensive hobby!

biggrin.gif

Best,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back