Digital camera recommendations
Aug 19, 2008 at 2:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

JMT

JMT Audio:PPA/META42 Amp Factory
My trusty Canon A-6something camera finally bit the dust. I found a company locally that will diagnose and repair, but the diagnostics are $75 (deducted from the repair bill) if I go that route. Given that my old camera is only 3 megapixels, I think I'll just buy a new one. I have looked at the reviews in Consumer Reports and on Digital Photgraphy Review (dpreview.com) but I figured there are many here that have first hand experience with some good, inexpensive cameras.

My budget is $200 - $300. I am not looking for anything fancy, probably a compact rather than a sub-compact. Image stabilization, optical view finder if possible (not required), fully auto so my wife can use it but with manual settings as well.

I have been looking at:

Canon Powershot SX100 IS

Canon Powershot A650 IS

Nikon Coolpix P80 (little over my budget)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Aug 19, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #3 of 20
I have the A630 and like the pictures it puts out (I've put around 2500 shots through it). The A650 IS is definitely what I would consider. It's the same sensor and lens as the more expensive G9 (missing several other features of the G9).

The only downside, IMO, is the size. The A5xx are noticeably lighter and slimmer because of the fewer batteries and no flip screen. Naturally, all of the pocket cameras are much smaller.

I thought I would use the flip screen of the 630 much more than I really do. On occasion, I wish I had a bit more zoom (which the 650 provides).

Aug 19, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 20
If you can deal with pokey flash recycling speeds, the A590 hits the points on your list at the $150 price point. Excepting the flash, response times are decent and image quality is good for the class.

Aug 19, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 20
JMT,

Your best bet is to call canon and trade in ( YES TRADE IN ) your broken A-60 for a refurbed SX100is. Probably $100. Then you can install CHDK onto your sd card for a bunch of functions.

CHDK - CHDK Wiki

Najib

ps. If you don't want the sx100, they may have other options, just ask. I have the sx100 and I love it! I can write my own scripts, override shutter speed, aperture and shoot in RAW ( which i seldom use but useful to have )

Aug 19, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #7 of 20
Take a look at this thread @ Slickdeals, JMT. It's a trade-up program from Canon that I didn't know existed:

Canon camera trade-up - SlickDeals.net Forums

Nabs beat me to it. There's a lot of info in that thread. The cameras are refurbs (I think). Some are getting quoted $275 with lens kit for a Rebel XT if you wanted to go for a small DSLR with full auto capability (XT may be backorderd). There is also the G9 for $250, which is one of the very best P&S cameras available.

I also think you might be the first moderator in history to move his own thread.

Aug 19, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also think you might be the first moderator in history to move his own thread.

No, wasn't me (thanks Jude). I feel like such a newb.
redface.gif

Aug 19, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by PerformanceFirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a known issue with some Canon cameras, including yours. You might want to look into it:

Support - Digital Cameras - High-End, Advanced Digital Cameras - Performance and Style, Digital ELPH Cameras - Easy and Fun! A-Series Digital Cameras - Digital Camera - PowerShot A75 - Service Notices - Canon USA Consumer Products

Thanks a lot!! That is exactly what is wrong with my camera.

[size=xx-small]But I think I'll still get a new one too.[/size]

Aug 21, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Csidinim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should be able to get a free repair (or suitable replacement) under the CCD issue, or you can upgrade to A560 ($89), SD1000 ($100), or SX100 IS ($125) as refurb replacements.

Canon Loyalty Program - return old camera, get better camera

I considered the free repair, but at the end of the day I would still have a 5+ year old, 2 mp camera without image stabilization. I just ordered the SX100 IS for $125 plus $10 shipping. Should be here on Monday.

Aug 22, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't forget chdk

Thanks nab. When I get my camera and I'm ready to install chdk I may contact you for some guidance if you don't mind.

Aug 27, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #15 of 20
I also need to get a larger memory card for it (comes with a 32 mb card). It seems like SanDisk makes the one most carry (probably going with 2 gigs for this and my wifes Olympus). Are different brand memory card all pretty much the same? Sorry for the newb question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back