Digital Camera recommendation
Feb 22, 2006 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bg4533

Headphoneus Supremus
A friend of mine is taking an intro digital photography class next quarter and needs a suitable camera. The class asks everyone to have a 4MP camera that allows the user to select the exposure and shutter speed or aperature. An SLR is encouraged but not required.

My friend has a lot of travels planned and wants a camera that is compact and easy to carry. The camera must easily fit in a purse. An SLR isnt really an option. Something along the size of my Canon S410 would be nice. I am not sure of her budget, but I doubt I can convince her to spend more than $400-$500.

Feb 22, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #2 of 7
I think the Olympus SP-350 would be a nice choice. Not compact, but for the features that it has, it's great for the price ($289 at B&H Photo, without memory card and other accessories). I like the fact that the camera is larger and has a hand grip, which is important if you want more stability when it comes to shooting slow.

398632.jpg

Feb 22, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 7
I just bought a Panasonic (shirt pocket size) 5MP and love it. Besides being small and great pictures, it has a 6X Zoom. Most others are 3X zoom. This replaces a Canon A310 and was a giant step up all the way around.

Feb 22, 2006 at 10:03 AM Post #6 of 7
Actually there are many many cameras with the features you're looking for. A lot are going for around $200-300. If your friend is taking a class and really want to get full use of the camera, I would put priority on easy to use menus. Yes, image quality and battery life and all that is important, but around digicam levels, its a very close race between the top models...except for user interface.

I'm partial to Nikon's UI, a lot of my friends like Canon's UI. Download a few manuals and show see which is the easiest to learn/use. If she has to go through 3 submenus to change aperature or metering, she's going to hate the camera and hate photography (or leave it on P/auto mode forever).

So, try www.dpreview.com and use the buying guide to search out cameras with the following minimum requirements:
1. Aperature prioity
2. Shutter priority
3. Center/spot metering in addition to the matrix/multizone whatever metering (spot metering is great for learning)
4. Manual focus option (what's the point of aperature priority if you can't choose your focus)
5. At least +/- 2EV exposure compensation (will definitly be in the classwork)
6. Adjustable white balance (to learn about color temperatures)
7. Compact size, <$400 price, 4 or 5 Mega pixels, etc.

Truthfully I haven't seen a compact/subcompact with a UI that I like. You'll definitly have to go through menus and that takes times, eats batteries and is just plain not fun navigating menus while the composition you saw goes away.

Like I said, I'm partial to Nikon UI. So, take a look at the Coolpix 5400. Aperature, speed and white balance are semi directly accessible on a wheel. EV comp has it own button. Metering is 2 menus away. Manual focus is 3 menus. The camera is a little bit bulky though.

Cannon S80/70/60/50 are more compact but again, more menus. As XxATOLxX mentioned, the Canon G6 is a great camera, and it has almost all direct button/wheel access to the features; as bulky as the Coolpix though. Download some manuals and see which she prefers.

Feb 22, 2006 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 7
I have to agree with mikeliao. That is some good advice there.
With Canon, the shutter priority mode is Tv right there on the dial, which always throws me off.
tongue.gif

Most all of the "pocket" digitals have shutter, aperature and exposure comp. The G6 and Coolpix 5400 are both great cameras, but not pocket or purse size.
Just do what mikeliao suggested then go to some place like Circuit City and do a hands on evaluation. She will end up with a great camera that she feels comfortable with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back