Digital Cables- Coax and USB
Feb 5, 2013 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jvandyk

100+ Head-Fier
Hey folks,

I just picked up a used Marigo Apparition and it has reignited my interest in Dig Coax. Wow! This thing is schooling my other very good coax (AQ Digital Pro). Now I'm interested in upgrading my USB.

Anybody here (with the exception of the Sound Science crowd) have good experience in upgrading their USB cable...or is this a reach.

It is amazing how a coax link can improve the sound so significantly.

Subjective listeners rule!

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #2 of 4
It is not a reach.  I have tried multiple AQ USB cables (Cinnamon, Carbon, Diamond), and each of them provided significant sonic improvements over the USB cables that were provided with my DACs.

Feb 7, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #3 of 4
Have you given the Blue Jeans Belden 1505a a shot. It may not have audiophile cred but It is rated out to 4.3 GHz and measures very well. IMO digital is very different logic to analog cables, your DAC only cares how well the cable transmits a square wave which can be easily measured. I much prefer my 1505a to my Furutech silver coax cable, so thats one to avoid. In coax cable silver just reduces resistance.

For USB I am using a silver cable from PPAStudio, some of the construction is a bit iffy but it sounds best out of the ones I have tried. Once again better than my Furutech GT2, and Oyaide UPOCC copper USB cable. I'm not sure if it performs better than the fabled monoprice USB :p. Some of the high end cables seem to have conflicting impressions, maybe they have trouble terminating them consistently or something because of crazy geometry etc. I have also tried Wireworld ultraviolet which compared to my PPA was more lively in the treble and warmer in the bass. Next I think I will try the new USB cable from PPA. I seem to like the flat cables that try to keep consistent geometry between the digital wires.

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Have you given the Blue Jeans Belden 1505a a shot. It may not have audiophile cred but It is rated out to 4.3 GHz and measures very well. IMO digital is very different logic to analog cables, your DAC only cares how well the cable transmits a square wave which can be easily measured. I much prefer my 1505a to my Furutech silver coax cable, so thats one to avoid. In coax cable silver just reduces resistance.

For USB I am using a silver cable from PPAStudio, some of the construction is a bit iffy but it sounds best out of the ones I have tried. Once again better than my Furutech GT2, and Oyaide UPOCC copper USB cable. I'm not sure if it performs better than the fabled monoprice USB
tongue.gif
. Some of the high end cables seem to have conflicting impressions, maybe they have trouble terminating them consistently or something because of crazy geometry etc. I have also tried Wireworld ultraviolet which compared to my PPA was more lively in the treble and warmer in the bass. Next I think I will try the new USB cable from PPA. I seem to like the flat cables that try to keep consistent geometry between the digital wires.

Thanks you guys. I guess you have heard some nice things from the USB connection then.  What I do is run the USB to the external sound card and then onto the DAC. I convert the Toslink to Digital Coax with a Theta TLC. Sounds like a mess but I have been steadily getting better sound along the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back