Digital cable keeps tiling, What?
Aug 8, 2007 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

arnoldsoccer4

500+ Head-Fier
So technology hates me all of the sudden. We have comcast digital cable and it tiles and drops audio to the point that it is truly not watchable. Does anyone know why this could be? The connections on it are tight as can be and there is nothing on the cable box and I can't watch tv. The strangest thing is that it only does it on our lower channels, espn etc, our movie channels are perfect.

Aug 8, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 10
Comcast just sucks. We also used to have comcast digital cable and the same thing happened, we had techs out multiple times. Btw, what happens is called "pixelating". My friend who also has comcast digital cable also has the exact same problem. Their high speed internet is equally bad and I am dumping it in a few weeks.

Aug 8, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 10
Yes comcast sucks. I am thinking of just running out and getting a signal amplifier to see if that helps, also our box might be bad, might call a tech guy.

Aug 8, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #4 of 10
Our Comcast service used to routinely output very low power signals on the lower channels (at that time they were mostly PBS stations and so on) often these would be unwatchable as analog signals, with huge amounts of noise , as they started to convert the channels to digital feeds we had several months of lots of pixelation on even the premium channels.

The really crappy thing about comcast is the program guide, ours only goes two days ahead, it used to be three days ahead then we got a new box
plainface.gif

Aug 9, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 10
Happened to me a few months back, but only on the movie channels. Changed boxes, still happened. Then one day it magically stopped.

Aug 9, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get them to come by and boost your connection; they did it for me, it worked

X2. You have some signal problems from the distributor connection or something. Keep calling them and let them know you still need more service.

Most recently here outside of Seattle, all channels would drop out at about midnight. I called them and found out they were laying new cable somewhere nearby, but literally got credit for two weeks of spotty service. After that, it's been great service.

Also, my cable modem service: excellent. The last time it dropped out it was my rotting cable modem
eek.gif
. I currently get 36dB S/N ratio with a 2dB/mV power level, and I have three tvs in this place (one run off of a splitter in this same room).

Sorry Comcast isn't working well for you. It works really great up here!

Aug 9, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #8 of 10
The resolution to your problem will probably depend on your local Comcast's level of support. My local Comcast has replaced several outdoor neighborhood cable hubs for free to improve signal quality; I have a forested field behind my house and apparently animals enjoyed chewing on the cables.
tongue.gif

In every case, Comcast has provided free equipment (cables, splitters, etc.) in order to get the best possible signal quality to and through the house. The quality of their coaxial cabling and terminators seems to be very high, too.

Aug 9, 2007 at 7:50 AM Post #9 of 10
It's also known as macro blocking. Usually due to high compression rate. If it happens during fast moving or complex scenes, then it's most likely that. No fix for this one, the broadcaster is outputting a crappy feed.

If not, and it's like a weird blob of blocky pixels that appear, picture freezes sometimes, including the audio, it's a signal problem.

-Ed

Aug 9, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The resolution to your problem will probably depend on your local Comcast's level of support. My local Comcast has replaced several outdoor neighborhood cable hubs for free to improve signal quality; I have a forested field behind my house and apparently animals enjoyed chewing on the cables.
tongue.gif

In every case, Comcast has provided free equipment (cables, splitters, etc.) in order to get the best possible signal quality to and through the house. The quality of their coaxial cabling and terminators seems to be very high, too.

Unfortunately critters aren't the problem, southwest Chicago suburbs are completely flat, and we are in the middle of a neighborhood. I guess I will give comcast a call.
And Ed, it's the second one.
Thanks for your help everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back