Digital Cable for iPod ???
Feb 4, 2008 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SunWarrior

100+ Head-Fier
I have an iPod Classic. While it's normally a portable source for me, I'd like to be able to attach it to a home system DAC, using a digital cable, either coaxial or TosLink.

So, how might I do that?

I was thinking that perhaps there's a cable that plugs into the bottom of the iPod, using Apple's own interface, but instead of a USB jack at the other end, there's be an RCA jack (through coaxial cable) or a TosLink connector.

Does this exist?

Dave, who is likely buying a Channel Islands Audio VDA-2 DAC later this month

===========================================
Headphones: AKG K701, Grado SR-80, Etymotic 4P/S
Amps: Little Dot MK V, Heed CanAmp, Headroom Total AirHead, Arcam A80
Sources: Arcam CD93, Sony SCD-C2000es, iPod Classic
Interconnects: RS Audio Solid Silver
Speakers: Audio Physic Yara
===========================================

Feb 4, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 5
The only product capable of getting Digital sound from an ipod is the new Wadia transport dock. It has several digital outputs.

Feb 5, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 5
Use line out. To do what you're talking about will cost more than the ipod itself. If you have to have digital out, buy an inexpensive computer and use it as a media server.

See ya
Steve

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use line out. To do what you're talking about will cost more than the ipod itself. If you have to have digital out, buy an inexpensive computer and use it as a media server.

See ya
Steve

Agreed, although since you have an iPod you're probably already running iTunes on a computer somewhere. The easiest thing is probably just to get yourself an AirPort Express and use it to stream music directly from iTunes, taking the iPod out of the equation. You can take the digital out from your AirPort Express directly to you DAC of choice.

Feb 5, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by gz76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed, although since you have an iPod you're probably already running iTunes on a computer somewhere. The easiest thing is probably just to get yourself an AirPort Express and use it to stream music directly from iTunes, taking the iPod out of the equation. You can take the digital out from your AirPort Express directly to you DAC of choice.

That is a really good idea! I never even thought of doing that! Thanks gz76!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back