digital cable for Ack! dAck!
Mar 17, 2004 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

phoneman

New Head-Fier
Has anyone found a digital cable they liked with their dAck!?
Also, has anyone found a transport that works great with the dAck?
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #2 of 9
A really good digital cable, if you can find one for sale, is the MIT T3 digital cable. Sean H uses his computer with his dAck but reclocks the signal with a monarchy DIP. I would use a decent cd player with one of these jitter reducers like Sean. Then you could even use a changer, without much, if any, sonic penalty.

Mar 17, 2004 at 4:49 AM Post #3 of 9
If you have the budget I gotta say the Stereovox HDXV is an excellent sounding digital cable and seems to work great with the dAck!. Is your dAck! newer with BNC input? If so, the HDXV is actually a BNC cable but has RCA adapters on both ends. I have found Chris's digital cable he sells to be almost it's equal with the HDXV having the edge.

sacd lover has it right, if you plan to use a lesser transport you might consider putting a DIP before the dAck! which provides an ideal signal for the dAck! I use my computer as a transport as well as a digital cable box with 40 stations of Music Choice via a PCM digital output. The DIP made for a very nice improvement. I haven't experimented with any other transports.

Mar 17, 2004 at 5:58 AM Post #4 of 9
Sean,
when you were using the Perreaux headphone amp did you have to float the ground on your amp? I was having no luck latching on to a signal with the dAck! until I floated the ground on my V.5 then I had no problem. This occurred with two out of the three transports I tried with the dAck!
Thanks for the info on the digital cable!

Mar 17, 2004 at 2:49 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by phoneman
Sean,
when you were using the Perreaux headphone amp did you have to float the ground on your amp? I was having no luck latching on to a signal with the dAck! until I floated the ground on my V.5 then I had no problem. This occurred with two out of the three transports I tried with the dAck!
Thanks for the info on the digital cable!

No, I can't recall a lock problem like that, interesting. Hmm. I do remember I was using a digital cable I had made early on when I got the dAck!, before I got the DIP, and I do remember having some lock problems but I later concluded it was the DIY cable. Ever since I started using quality, well built digital cables and acquiring the DIP I have not once seen the dAck! fail to lock, ever.

Mar 17, 2004 at 11:45 PM Post #7 of 9
sacd lover,
thanks for the digital cable recommendations. As for the sound of the dAck! it kinda grows on you like the sound of good analog.
It's very quiet.you don't really realize how quiet it is until you listen to something else (toshiba 3950)
Sean,
My dAck! came with RCA in. Would you say the DIP actually improved the sound or just helped with latching on to a signal?
Do you have the DIP Classic? Where would you recommend buying one? Sorry for all the questions.

Mar 18, 2004 at 2:55 AM Post #8 of 9
Oh, the DIP definitely improved the sound indeed. Not something you have strain to hear either. Blacker background, improved resolution and detail, better bass definition, lot's of improvement. It reduces jitter. I have the latest DIP, but not the upsampling version, I believe it's called the DIP 24/96. I got mine used off Audiogon where there seems to be a number of them for sale often. I believe you can buy straight from monarchyaudio.com or Audio Advisor used to sell them - it might just be the upsampling version they carry now.

The sound of the dAck! does grow on you. People ask how it sounds and sometimes it's hard to describe and really that's a good thing. It doesn't sound warm really, doesn't have a plump midrange with a mellow top end and a warm bass region. Doesn't sound bright, totally lacks harshness and digital edge. It's perplexing to people who prefer one of those two signatures, especially the ones who want shimmering, stand-out highs and forced detail. The dAck! just simply sounds about right, that's the best way I can describe it, sounds like music. Not lacking, not overdone, just excellent reproduction.

Mar 18, 2004 at 3:53 AM Post #9 of 9
Sean H, I couldn't agree with you more.
I got my dAck DAC unit for almost 2 month now, I love it.
There is just something magic in the sound, and I couldn't describe it better than you.
The DIP sure does some wonder to the music. I got the Super Drive version because of the true 75ohm output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back