Digital audio newbie goes optical with AV-710
Jan 18, 2007 at 7:48 AM Post #16 of 21
I had the S/PDIF mode set to "AC3 or PCM Auto Select (48KHz)" on the Envy24 control panel. I set it to PCM and set the sample rate to auto and it works fine now. Using 32-bit output format with no resampling. Yay.

Thanks a bunch.

Jan 18, 2007 at 12:46 PM Post #17 of 21
With one of the latest envy drivers you should be able to turn off resampling and use 44.1kHz. This is the original CD quality, and upsampling from there does not give you any more sound (you are interpolating data points, or "inventing" points between the ones the recording actually has), it increases CPU load and can produce clicks and pops while playing music. The AV710 give the same quality flashed or not. But the prodigy drivers are much better and more stable, and a plus is that they have native ASIO you can select directly in foobar, without playing and messing with asio4all, which can be tricky and sometimes doesn't work.

Jan 18, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With one of the latest envy drivers you should be able to turn off resampling and use 44.1kHz.

I should've been clearer. I was talking about using the AV-710's analog outputs, not digital. As far as I can tell, there's no way to use the Wolfson DAC without enabling resampling (using the latest drivers).

Jan 18, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With one of the latest envy drivers you should be able to turn off resampling and use 44.1kHz. This is the original CD quality, and upsampling from there does not give you any more sound (you are interpolating data points, or "inventing" points between the ones the recording actually has), it increases CPU load and can produce clicks and pops while playing music. The AV710 give the same quality flashed or not. But the prodigy drivers are much better and more stable, and a plus is that they have native ASIO you can select directly in foobar, without playing and messing with asio4all, which can be tricky and sometimes doesn't work.

exactly, prodigy drivers are way superior, but too bad this is for ppl who use AV710 as a transport (no analog)

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should've been clearer. I was talking about using the AV-710's analog outputs, not digital. As far as I can tell, there's no way to use the Wolfson DAC without enabling resampling (using the latest drivers).

then use the older drives.... they are superior anyways

Feb 1, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowVlican /img/forum/go_quote.gif
exactly, prodigy drivers are way superior, but too bad this is for ppl who use AV710 as a transport (no analog)

then use the older drives.... they are superior anyways

What is the exact version you recommend. Can you kindly provide a link?

Feb 1, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #21 of 21
here's what i've been pasting around everywhere

================================================== ====

There is an exploit in the Envy24HT-S driver's Control
Panel that you can take advantage of.

1) Go to the Digital Out tab and select PCM Only.
2) Then select the 8 Channel output tab and go to Sample Rate
& Immerzio 3D.
3) Under Sample Rate Select uncheck Automatic, select 44.1khz,
and re-check Automatic.
4) Go back to the 2 Channel tab and go to Digital Out.
5) Select AC3 or PCM Autoselect (48khz only).

This should result in the Envy24HT-S Control Panel essentially
being tricked into letting AC3 or PCM at 44.1 and 48khz
autoselect between eachother. The way it SHOULD HAVE been...

http://www.htpcnews.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3616

(tested and verified working with these drivers Envy24_Family_Drivers_V432b.zip)

================================================== ====

all you really need for this exploit is the older driver panel, not the new black one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back