Digital Audio Isulation Transformer cheaper source
Feb 26, 2004 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Glassman

Headphoneus Supremus
do someone know where to get those encapsuled isulation transformers for s/pdif cheaper than for $8+ at Digikey? I can have two sets of optical transceivers/receivers for that price
rolleyes.gif

or maybe some type not specificaly for digital audio would also do?

Feb 26, 2004 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 4
Scientific Conversion was selling cheaper transformers, I think about 4 bucks each. However the ordering process was involved (talking to sales rep over the phone etc.). That was 3 years ago so perhaps things have been moved online by now (or the company folded, I haven't looked).

Feb 26, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 4
Scientific Conversions hasn't changed their ordering process much then. They still don't have online ordering.

As for Digikey, if you don't need the transformers encapsulated in epoxy then Digikey has some good Schott pulse xfrmrs. for about $5 I think (we bought in 50 piece quantities though). I think the company name changed to Newava Technology, but they appear to be the same part.

Stu

Feb 26, 2004 at 10:28 PM Post #4 of 4
Those $5 in 50 quantities are probably the same as $8 in single quantities that Glassman complained about - I was looking at them a few days ago and Newava is the name on those parts.

I have to admit that I've been somewhat lazy and haven't really used these transformers for several years. Probably because I focused on optical (no pun intended).

Scientific Conversion were small and in standard package (they'd fit into DIP-8. Schott stuff was bigger and had its own proprietary PCB layout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back