Digipack CD, what is it?
Nov 24, 2001 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

DarkAngel

DarkAngel's a man, baby!
I have noticed some new releases or remastered Cds are being offered as digipack Cds........what is the difference vs standard CD? Is it special packaging or is there difference in recording itself? I have not purchased one yet and was curious.

Nov 24, 2001 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 9
OK, I now understand.

I found some examples from packaging suppliers, turns out I've owned some for years and didn't know it, good example is NIN
"fragile" and "broken" Cds where folded cardboard case has integrated plastic CD holder.......allows more usuable graphics
area, and some are pretty cool. Apparantly more CDs will be released in this style package, generic example:

Nov 25, 2001 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 9
They suck, IMHO. Not as durable as the jewel case: corners get bent, cover gets scratched and "eroded", colors fade more quickly. I much prefer jewel cases. In fact, if I wasn't such a huge Mark Walk and Nivek Ogre fan, I would've waited for the jewel case version of ohGr's Welt, even though the Digipak version has cool "pop-up" artwork.

Nov 25, 2001 at 12:46 AM Post #6 of 9
Oh, and if you break the spindles, you can't just pop it out and put another one in.

You can fix it however. The new version of Goldfrapp's Felt Mountain is a good example. If you find the right mail-order source (no, you can't just go out somewhere and buy it), they sell these little CD/DVD spindle "dots" -- basically, a foam rubber spongey thingy that's cut to the right size, with glue on one side.

I haven't tried this yet, because I haven't broken any spindles yet, but I fully expect that to happen eventually...

OTOH, I can see the appeal WRT artwork.

Nov 25, 2001 at 1:07 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
...they do look much cooler, you must say.

Two things:

1 - Why do I hear Martin Short's voice when you say that ("you must say")?

2 - See my 2nd post, which you prolly hadn't read when you posted. Synopsis: yes, I must say. Still will avoid if at all possible. Me. I will. Not saying any of you have to. You do what you want. I do have a whole bunch of those little plastic baggies (no, they're not leftover from anything...scandalous) for just such occasions (as when it's unavoidable).

Nov 25, 2001 at 3:51 AM Post #9 of 9
nosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back