Digi-Key's AD825
Jun 18, 2004 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

AdamZuf

Headphoneus Supremus
when i look for the AD825 in digi-key, i get different kinds, and they only got one of them on stock:
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea...187434&Site=US
is this the right one?
i also need the part number for a compatible socket, please.

i would use the search if it would work
rolleyes.gif

thanks guys

adam

Jun 18, 2004 at 6:07 AM Post #3 of 15
i remember that part from when i had the XP-7. so as i understand, this is a must for all AD825, right?

well, the reason i'm looking for the AD825 is because i want to use two as a replacement to the quad LT1362 in my DI/O (connected with wires, of coarse it can't fit instead). this only has been done once, and the modder said that he bought a ready made board montage with 2 AD825 on it from a local store in france. as i understand, it's probably something similar to that browndog but like a double one.
do you have an idea if this is available online somewhere?

thank you
adam

Jun 18, 2004 at 7:31 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamZuf
the modder said that he bought a ready made board montage with 2 AD825 on it from a local store in france. as i understand, it's probably something similar to that browndog but like a double one.
do you have an idea if this is available online somewhere?

thank you
adam

The same site linked above.
Zemo just had the wrong adapter.

http://66.216.121.197/index.asp?Page...PROD&ProdID=24

Now for the fun part.
I am assuming you have no need for the adc section so all you got to do is wire it likethis.
But you also need to keep the wires as short as possible and you also have to remember the digital board is right there.....the caps are gonna be right in the way unless you lay them on their side.
(sorry bout the crappy image but it has been a very long day)

Jun 18, 2004 at 10:57 AM Post #5 of 15
MisterX
thank you for your advice, the image is super coolm, thanks for the effort! it seems that i could use only one AD825??? if so, can you explain (and in very simple words) why Claude G used 2 AD825? your corresopondance is just the same as his, BTW.

you could take a look at Claude's comments about the AD825 thing in here:
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51497
just type "AD825" in the "find" option, the easiest way to get there
wink.gif

please tell me, are there other opamps that could work well with the DI/O other then the AD825 and the LT's?
ITZBITZ told me that AD797 could work, but will be unstable because of the opamp's requirements.

Jun 18, 2004 at 11:09 AM Post #6 of 15
that browndog is double sided of course, one single soic opamp on top and second on bottom, you have to use two soic opamps in this adapter..

almost any opamp will work, there's nothing too special about AD825, what's special on LTs is that there are quad versions, which is rather rare situation, most opamps are single and duals but some are just singles, OPA627 or AD825 for example..

Jun 18, 2004 at 11:21 AM Post #7 of 15
hey glassman,
ITZBITZ told me that the power requirements of the AD797 are higher then the AD825 and it might be that the DI/O wouldn't be able to keep up with it.. so you disagree?
could you list all of the good opamps that will work?

i would like to have the possibility to roll to something else.. so it seems to me that the wires should come out and end up with sockets.. OTOH opamp's montages that are bigger then the AD825 might have a problem to fit into the small space there.. is there a suitable opamp in the size of the AD825?

thanks

Jun 18, 2004 at 11:56 AM Post #8 of 15
it's very unlikely that there will be lack of power for any common opamp.. bear in mind you are removing half of them because you don't need A/D.. there are unified packages, they are either DIP or SOIC, AD825 is available only in SOIC, while most others can be had in DIP or SOIC, they all are exactly the same dimension-wise.. there are lots of good opamps, you want examples, okay:

OPA627 (single, dip & soic)
LT1363,4,5 (single, dual, quad, dip & soic)
AD8610,20 (single, dual, soic only)
LT1122, AD817, AD8022 and many others..

Jun 18, 2004 at 11:57 AM Post #9 of 15
Adam: the thing is, the art dio uses a 14 pin LT. What that means is those browndogs won't work by themselves. You're going to have to figure out how to convert two of the AD-825s to one of the 14 pin boards.

Jun 18, 2004 at 4:33 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrzejpw
Adam: the thing is, the art dio uses a 14 pin LT. What that means is those browndogs won't work by themselves. You're going to have to figure out how to convert two of the AD-825s to one of the 14 pin boards.

isn't MisterX's link enough
confused.gif

Jun 18, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #11 of 15
so what would you guys do if you were me? what would be the best way to go (size and flexibility)?

SOIC's are very small, would probably be better not to mess with them once they are inside that Browndog, ha? (like, if i were to rely on SOIC's, i would get a new browndog for each and just use a socket so i could switch... OTOH the socket takes more height)

DI/O knowers: it sounds a bit crazy, but i think that a possibility would be cutting out the PCB area under the removed U2 to allow more height space. what do you think?

******* search, now i need to get info about the sound of each opamp
mad.gif

Jun 18, 2004 at 4:51 PM Post #12 of 15
I'd go with LT1365, it's very good one and you don't have to bother with non optimal adapters of adapters, wires, space etc. you won't get any better with other opamps, they might sound little different but not better or worse, so is it worth the effort?? better focus on proper decoupling with polypropylenes nearest to the supply pins you can get.. and of course Class A bias them..

Jun 18, 2004 at 4:54 PM Post #13 of 15
i've tried it and didn't like it. it doesn't work well with the DI/O's sonic signature.
the LT1362 was a clear improvement on top of it, so i do believe that another opamp could further improve the sound.

Jun 18, 2004 at 4:57 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassman
better focus on proper decoupling with polypropylenes nearest to the supply pins you can get..

i have absolutly no ideawhat you just said
tongue.gif

Quote:

and of course Class A bias them

don't know how to do it. but Class A bias denies opamp rolling, right? and AFAIK, it usually grants a bit more smoothness, which is not a very needed thing in my case. i'm cool with an "edge".

Jul 7, 2004 at 4:42 AM Post #15 of 15
glassman?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back