Digi Cam: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8
May 31, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I looked at dpreview.com and it's apparently highly rec'd. So should I get the pack on eBay or look at something else?

I don't have any experience with the camera, but I would say AVOID that auction. It smells of a bait and switch scam: NYC camera stores on E-bay are notorious for it!

BTW, I did find reseller ratings for J and K photo.....not good:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store...rice_Cameras_6

May 31, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

EDIT: How does this company have 99.9% Positive on eBay?!

I've noticed all the NYC bait and switch companies have 99-96% positive ratings on E-bay.
eek.gif
I think they go for pressuring tactics, or even making up accounts to boost up their ratings. They're actually quite small fronts that are in Brooklyn...so I think one should be alarmed if the seller has 1 negative rating per month.

I actually got burned by one, and that's how I found out about these many scams going on in NY. For me, the seller was extremely slow and couldn't tell me if and when my camera was being shipped. I then found out that they were using a different name on E-bay, and on their website orders they were notorious for refusing shipment until you bought over inflated accessories.

IMO, it's just not worth it. If you luck out in actually getting the camera, it's not going to be that much cheaper then where you can find other online places

May 31, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 19
The camera itself is quite inexpensive and can be bought for about $270. The accessories bundle seemed rather good for the price so wanted to buy it.

I'm so glad I posted this thread and you replied! I'm still amazed how close I was to losing my money.

May 31, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #6 of 19
BTW....I just thought I'd check out the price of it on Amazon, and I notice you can get the camera for $300, and a 2GB sandisk card for $30. I suspect that the other accessories that come with that E-bay bid are pretty cheap and worthless.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-...0578790&sr=8-2

May 31, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

The camera itself is quite inexpensive and can be bought for about $270. The accessories bundle seemed rather good for the price so wanted to buy it.

I'm so glad I posted this thread and you replied! I'm still amazed how close I was to losing my money.

Yeah....I think the accessories is where they're getting you. They're probably really cheap accessories that they might even make you pay more for
mad.gif
I would avoid any lens extensions....unless they are made by Panasonic.

May 31, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #8 of 19
I'm starting to consider a different camera because I think a compact or ultra compact would be better for me.

Still undecided.

May 31, 2007 at 9:33 AM Post #10 of 19
I have the FZ7. Ended up defeating the object of having a decent camera for me, as although I know how to take pictures it was just too large. Especially if you want to protect the lens. The camera itself is a nice piece of work but it is just collecting dust because I don't take it anywhere.

Also one other criticism I can say about the FZ is that although it's well made, the plastic body makes it feel a bit too light and insubstantial for what it is. It's an odd thing I know, I shouldn't be complaining about lack of weight but the older all-metal cameras I had felt much better in the hand.

I'm probably going for the Canon G7.

May 31, 2007 at 10:17 AM Post #11 of 19
Not all the NYC stores are scammers. I bought my club camera, a Canon SD1000, from a store on eBay located in NYC and didn't have a single hiccup. Shipping was secure and prompt and the price at the time was very reasonable. What worries me more, are the seemingly good prices that eBay stores offer through these package deals. The products included in these packages are oft times of very cheap build and in the long run you'd be better off just getting the camera by itself and buying what you need seperately. If I were you, I'd steer clear of most of the package deals being offered through these big companies.

In regards to the camera itself, Panasonic's range of ultra zoom point & shoots are very decent indeed and come highly recommended for a reason. I still use my FZ5 when I don't feel like lugging my Nikon F2 or D50 around and while performance still can't match that of a DSLR, the benefit of smaller size and weight along with the image stabilized 12x zoom imo make it a keeper.

High ISO performance, like most non DSLRS actually, isn't great (ISO200 is pretty grainy) but the IS lens allows you to shoot in almost every situation with ISO80 as the camera can be handheld down past 1/6 of a second at f/2.8 without noticeable motion blur (At least IME).

Sizewise, I personally don't find the camera too big, it was quite the contrary for me actually. I was really impressed with the expansive feauture set they were able to fit into such a compact package. While you can't exactly slip it into a pants pocket, it fits very nicely in the palm of your hand and if need be, can easily be slipped in to your wife or gf's purse or handbag. As for build quality, yes the plastic body does feel a bit cheap but it helps keep the weight down and regardless of the way it feels, it's quite tough. My FZ5 is my beater camera and has been exposed to pretty much everything someone could throw at it and it still barely has a scratch on the body. And honestly at this price point, you can't really complain about the plasticky build quality, especially considering the amount of camera that you're getting. For me, the bottom line is that the Panny ultra zooms offer a lot of performance for the money and make a great accompanying camera to a DSLR and an ultra compact.

May 31, 2007 at 10:44 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if need be, can easily be slipped in to your wife or gf's purse or handbag.

Obviously your SO's luggage is far more capacious
tongue.gif

May 31, 2007 at 11:33 AM Post #13 of 19
I got my FZ30 for a decent price from butterflyphoto (based in NY). I looked and laughed at the prices of memory on the site (something like $200 for a 1 gig SD card). They sent me an email saying I needed to call in for order confirmation so I rolled my eyes and called in.

Then the guy told me through a thick New York accent that everyone was getting the upgraded battery for the 30 (~$100), as the regular one would only last for 30 shots and the upgraded one would last for 400.

"You've got that wrong, the standard battery lasts for about 300 shots on average."

I still remember his exact words:
"Whatever buddy, don't listen to me, I only sell 'em all day."

"dpreview.com as well as your own website disagree with you. You're either a moron or you're FOS. Honestly it kind of sounds like both."

Got my camera a few days later.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out the Canon SD with IS feature.

As today is my birthday, my dad wants to buy me a camera.

He won't let me get the Canon SD series because he thinks their ugly.

He wanted to get me a Nikon D40 (non-x) but that didn't seem like a good idea given the fact that I don't have a portable digicam. A D40X would be nice if I already had a smaller camera.

I hate how the Lumix really can only go to ISO100. Anything higher looks really noisy.

Also I dont get why I'd get the FZ8 over the TZ3. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Panasonic/
The TZ3 is more compact and has 7mp and 12x zoom.

May 31, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not all the NYC stores are scammers. I bought my club camera, a Canon SD1000, from a store on eBay located in NYC and didn't have a single hiccup. Shipping was secure and prompt and the price at the time was very reasonable. What worries me more, are the seemingly good prices that eBay stores offer through these package deals. The products included in these packages are oft times of very cheap build and in the long run you'd be better off just getting the camera by itself and buying what you need seperately. If I were you, I'd steer clear of most of the package deals being offered through these big companies.

Still, I am alarmed at how many of the well known "bait and switch" fronts in Brooklyn are on E-bay. Seems like if you search any camera on E-bay, you get pages of these con artists. I've already gotten to a point that if it's not B&H, J&R, Adorama, or some other respected seller from NY I won't even look at the offer. I also have no qualms with buying used items from NY either: haven't had any problems dealing with private individuals. Though it does seem as though most the stores of ill refute do advertise either odd package deals or refurbished merchandise on E-bay. If it was me, the first thing I'd do if I was considering a camera auction from NY is to see if the seller has ratings on resellerratings.com. With this particular auction, it looks as though the seller is inflating the price from rather worthless accessories....seems to be a good indicator of a bait and switch storefront on E-bay IMO.

Anyway, back to OT about what cameras to look at today!! I like my Canon SD600, but since your dad doesn't like the looks....how would he feel about Fuji cameras? Their picture quality is supposed to be good....and with their reputation for having good sensitivities, I would assume that their current lineup would have decent ISOs (for P&Ss).

BTW, Happy Birthday!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back