Diffusors & absorbers
Apr 2, 2018 at 8:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mikaelmark

100+ Head-Fier
When listening to regular Hifi or Home cinema, the listening room will affect the sound a lot.

If the room are more or less empty and do not have painting boards or similar on the walls, nor any bookshelf with books or something in it - then the listening experience would not be nice (an echo experience will be generated).

This can be avoided in several ways. The first thing to do is to place the furnitures, such as carpets, couch, tables, bookshelfs etc on your (or your relatives) preferred position.

After that, you should place and position your speakers in an optimal position, from each other, distances to walls and angle.

Then, if you´re still not happy with the result, you can use either (or a combination of) diffusors or absorbers. If the speakerss are placed close to the wall, the sound bass may be gained but the sound can be muffled. And if you´re not able to place them with a longer distance from the wall, you can put some absorbers/foam against the wall behind the speakers (I have put rubber foam behind every of my speakers).
And the sound that will not go in to your ears (more particularly almost all of it), will bounce to the wall or bookshelf behind you, so here you may want to use something to tame it, and diffusors may be a good choice here. After that, remember the bass sound will be gained in the rooms corners, so absorbers here will lower the bass and get a cleaner sound. And if there are naked walls with no or minimal paintings, you can put some diffusors or absorbers to them. The last thing (depending of how much carpets etc you have on the floor) is to preparate the floor and ceiling also.

I have also hanged a fleece blanket inside the window.

One should just remember that if too much absorbers are used in the room (such as foam rubber or wool), the room may kill the sound too much, and the sound will be more "dead".

A nice furnished and preparred room may lift the sound to a higher degree than more expensive speakers.

If you serach the internet, much info about this will be found.

Below are some pictures of my own manufactured mirrored diffusors combined with some rubber foam behind the listening position/couch and my grandma´s table, that I have cutted in half and applied some rubber foam underneath and also in front of it - towards the speakers.

What have you done to your listening room, and what do you prefer/think it´s optimum to use? Please comment and post some pictures!
SAM_1973.JPG SAM_1964.JPG SAM_1982.JPG SAM_1979.JPG

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #2 of 7
I´ve now added bass traps for the corner´s behind the front speaker´s (B&W 683 S2), and still having all foam behind the speakers left. Really happy with the result, and must say I really enjoy the sound from the speakers themselves, without the "boomy" 12 inch Sub woofer! Picture is taken from inside the diffusor behind the listening position.

SAM_2321.JPG

Jul 29, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #7 of 7
The diffusor should not be painted or using varnish, as it will degrade the nice aqustic properties of using wood. Softer wood (pinewood) is better than hard wood (oak, teak & mahagny) - but some people are selling diffusor´s made of styrofoam, but this will not act as a diffusor but rather as an absorber for the sound as the styrofoam will not reflect the sound.

But may it be a good idea to treat the diffusor made of pinewood, with oil - such as paraffin oil as it´s non poison and do not smell? This will make the wood to last longer and will also get a darker look to it. I believe the oil will make wood get even softer characteristics, but will it have good aquistic properties?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back