Difficulty configuring connections between components (Computer, ADI-2 Pro FS, Tube Amp, Headphones)
Nov 11, 2020 at 6:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Cyrusis

New Head-Fier
Hello! Need some help here unfortunately.

Recently purchased the RME ADI-2 Pro Fs and an Ampsandsound Mogwai SE.

I'd like to connect my computer to the ADI-2 Pro Fs, and then have the unit output the signal into analog in order to plug into my Mogwai amplifier. The back of the ADI-2 Pro has two unbalanced TS outputs (left and right). Naturally I assumed that I could purchase a dual male 1/4 TS to RCA cable, connect it to the back of the ADI-2 and then RCA into the amp, set the mode to Dig Thru (Digital Through), and we'd be in business. Unfortunately it's not working, the ADI-2 doesn't let me change the source for the "Main Output 1/2" to USB; in fact, it is greyed out and indicated that the outputs can only be used in AD/DA mode.

So how do I best accomplish what I'm after? Am I missing a setting on the ADI-2?

The ADI-2 Pro Fs also included a breakout cable accessory with two female coaxial SPDIF (RCA left and right). Should I plug this into the back of the unit, then plug in RCAs to both devices? The front facing PH 3/4 seems to be the only output that works with USB, however it is front facing, and running a cable from the front of the unit then into an amp wouldn't look very good, and it just seems wrong?

Thank you for any advice you can provide!

Bonus: My headphones are ZMF Verite Closed (new) balanced headphones, and when used as balanced or unbalanced with the ADI-2 Pro Fs, they don't sound all that great? My Shure 1540s sound similar. Is that because they are 300ohms and not satisfied by the amp? Used only FLAC audio and Amazon HD Music. EDIT: Turned Hi-Power on and it improved the headphones significantly.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #2 of 9
You want USB mode, not digital thru
Leave the setting at "Auto", when USB is detected, it'll switch to the right mode (USB mode) for you

ps
if you want output at the back while a headphone plugged in at the front (3/4), you need to go to options -> phones ->turn "Mute v. TRS 3/4" off

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #3 of 9
You want USB mode, not digital thru
Leave the setting at "Auto", when USB is detected, it'll switch to the right mode (USB mode) for you

ps
if you want output at the back while a headphone plugged in at the front (3/4), you need to go to options -> phones ->turn "Mute v. TRS 3/4" off

I'm aware of USB mode, and that is what I use when I want to plug the headphones directly into the ADI-2 Pro. I'm wanting to plug this into a tube amp that has RCA inputs. Main question is about why the unbalanced TS outputs aren't working with USB, if I can use the RCA females on the breakout cable accessory to send audio into the tube amp through pass through, or what my ideal solution is here.

Again, don't want to use the ADI-2 Pro's built-in amp

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #4 of 9
If you're connecting to your computer via USB, then USB mode is what you want
In USB mode it will output to both the front (PH 3/4 and optional 1/2) and the back (XLR or TS) at the same time
My ADI-2 Pro is sitting in front of me right now, in USB mode, with a pair of headphone in PH3/4, XLR outputting to another amp and optical output to another DAC

The breakout cable is for digital connection. The RCA is for SPDIF and it will do nothing to your amp, which accepts analog signal

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #5 of 9
If you're connecting to your computer via USB, then USB mode is what you want
In USB mode it will output to both the front (PH 3/4 and optional 1/2) and the back (XLR or TS) at the same time
My ADI-2 Pro is sitting in front of me right now, in USB mode, with a pair of headphone in PH3/4, XLR outputting to another amp and optical output to another DAC

The breakout cable is for digital connection. The RCA is for SPDIF and it will do nothing to your amp, which accepts analog signal

That's strange. Is the XLR output's source the USB? Because I am not able to set the TS to have USB as a source. No audio is being sent to the amplifier (TS to RCA) with USB being the only source that's plugged in. Is there a setting I could be overlooking?

Is Main Output 1/2 the TS connections? When setting the IO for these, it says AD/DA and it's greyed out if USB is set.

Thanks again for helping me with this.

Nov 11, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #6 of 9
Is Main Output 1/2 the TS connections? When setting the IO for these, it says AD/DA and it's greyed out if USB is set.

Thanks again for helping me with this.
According to page 48 of the user manual, PH 1/2, XLR and TS are all channel 1/2
There's no need to set IO. In fact, AD/DA source in the I/O menu is locked at auto
Can you make sure options-> device mode -> basic mode is set at Auto? "USB mode active" should pop up
Remember if you have anything plugged in the front, the default setting will mute back output.

Nov 11, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #7 of 9
According to page 48 of the user manual, PH 1/2, XLR and TS are all channel 1/2
There's no need to set IO. In fact, AD/DA source in the I/O menu is locked at auto
Can you make sure options-> device mode -> basic mode is set at Auto? "USB mode active" should pop up
Remember if you have anything plugged in the front, the default setting will mute back output.

Thanks for your response!

So if I set it to auto, I do see “USB mode active” pop up, but when I play audio, the TS output doesn’t send anything to my tube amp. There is nothing plugged into the front, or anywhere else.

Just to mention that PH 3/4 does send the audio to my headphones if plugged in, so there’s no issue with the USB connection.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks again.

Nov 11, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for your response!

So if I set it to auto, I do see “USB mode active” pop up, but when I play audio, the TS output doesn’t send anything to my tube amp. There is nothing plugged into the front, or anywhere else.

Just to mention that PH 3/4 does send the audio to my headphones if plugged in, so there’s no issue with the USB connection.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks again.
At this point I'd suggest do a factory reset, because your setup should work at the default settings
If that fails, you should contact RME

Feb 21, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #9 of 9
In auto using USB the rear XLRs will output a pre out analog signal. all you need to set is the default signal level. +4dba to +19dba I think. Becareful, the ADI-2 is meant to interface with professional equipment. Suggest setting to the lowest +dba setting at first. You’ll clip the tube amps inputs on the highervsettings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back