Difficult choices: Did I give away the wrong headphones?
May 3, 2008 at 1:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Fallen

100+ Head-Fier
I live in the Philippines, where good headphones are fairly hard to find, and ordering online can be a pain due to sketchy postal service and customs charges.

So when my JVC Air Cushions and KSC75's finally arrived two days ago, I was ecstatic.

HOWEVER, one of my best friends in the world dropped by for a visit yesterday. After letting him hear my different headphones and amps, he was fairly appreciative, and mentioned that he was mainly using his ibuds, one channel of which had started to break down.

I looked at all five of my admittedly entry level phones laid out before us and I just thought, what the hell. He'd have a hell of a time finding decent sounding phones here without paying through the nose.

I'd never even opened the Air Cushions, and had only about 30 minutes on the KSC75s. I had to make a quick decision, and seeing as how I was fairly happy with the kramer-modded marshmallows as my cheap iems, I decided to give him the new Air Cushions.

Question: What am I missing out on? Should I have just given him the KSC75's since right now they sound surprisingly similar to my sr80s anyway? Or maybe my kramer-modded mallows? It's hard to say since I never even got to hear the Air Cushions. I could even have parted with the px100s, though those have some damage on them, and I honestly prefer the mallows to the senns at this point.

(Quick aside: After a few more listening sessions, I can't believe how good the ksc75's are for their price, very similar to my grados, though I still prefer my sr80s).

May 3, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #2 of 6
Your act of friendship and generosity in giving the Air Cushions was the right thing to do. Earphones come and go, but good friendships are rare, and your particular friendship more than warrants the small sacrifice. : )

May 3, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 6
Hehe. <20$ gift, and I don't remember the last time I gave him a birthday present or anything (me and my male friends don't seem to do this).

Wasn't a huge sacrifice, really, and I just couldn't stand the idea of him using ibuds. Anyhoo, is it worth ordering the Air Cushions again, or am I not missing out on too much anyway, since I do have the kramer-mod marshmallows?

May 3, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 6
Does he bath often? If so why not swap headphones in a week and see what the other ones sound like? Both of you get more experience and maybe he'll buy something you haven't heard.

Sharing experiences is half the fun of audio.

Mitch

May 3, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 6
Yuck.
smily_headphones1.gif

The idea of swapping iems does not appeal to me at all.

If I had given him the mallows, I would have swapped the new tips from the Air Cushions, assuming they fit. I already used the spares of my mallows, which are light green, and get dirty fairly easily.

I've shared buds with my girlfriend in the past (when her crappy GoGear player was brand new), but it made me uncomfortable, and even then they weren't canalphones.

I have no problem sharing my grados or px100s though. And already I've let several people hear my ksc75s.

May 3, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #6 of 6
i'd be a total ****** by telling you that you're not missing out on much... because i've never heard the air cushions before

but hey, i'm trying to make you feel better! =P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back