Different software players output different music / sound (Winamp, VLC Player, Foobar2000, JRiver)
Jul 25, 2013 at 9:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

StormClaw

New Head-Fier
Ok, this is weird.

So far I have tried listening to lossless music using these players:

- Windows Media Player
- VLC Player
- Foobar2000
- JRiver
- Winamp

All of them sound the same except for Winamp.
Sound coming out of Winamp can be described as: crisp, clear, flat, right in front of you, more high pitched.
Sound coming from all other players can be describe as: more dull, coming from a hole, more round, coming from behind a plastic screen.

Any idea what is going on? I know that players like JRiver and Foobar2000 are pretty good at outputting unaltered sound, but I can't help to notice that I like Winamp sound more.

No equalizers are used on any player. Maybe Winamp has something built-in that automatically alters sound? 

Jul 26, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #2 of 4
Can you get someone else to play the same material on the different players without you knowing which is which?

If you can still distinguish winamp from the others blind then there must be something wrong with your settings.

Jul 26, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #3 of 4
I don't need anyone else to confirm it.
I can tell myself with a 100% certainty that Winamp sounds different than all other players.

What i'm confused about is:
- why this is happening
- I actually like the sound.

As I said, all players are freshly installed without any settings modifications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back