Different phones for different music.
Apr 26, 2010 at 5:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SirJulius

New Head-Fier
So I'm new here and I posted a while ago (though I didn't get any response) so I'm posting again in hopes to get someone's opinion. I have about 50-100$ to spend and I'm trying to get the most bang for your buck. I've read a lot of reviews on headphones here, but it seemed like most of them lack in one thing or another. Like Grados being great for rock, but lacking in bass. Or some having great bass, but sacrifice clarity. So my question is... if you had 50-100$ to spend, what headphone(s) would you recommend?

Some I've considered are the ksc75, hd202, and sony v6s.

Anymore suggestions for a great combination, or even one headphone that would be great all around? I'm playing my music mostly though my basic sound card and mp3 player.

Apr 26, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #2 of 9
Sennheiser HD-555 is a good choice. I don't think it's bad for any genre that i'm aware of. The sound quality is probably better on the Shure SRH-440, but I haven't heard that one. I just know that the Shure SRH-240 and 840 are extremely good headphones for the price. If you could spend $35 more, get the Shure SRH-840. It's my favorite headphone under $250! Some people say that it won't sound good out of an mp3 player, but I disagree. As long as it's not an Ipod Shuffle or a very small mp3 player.

I'd also look into the Creative Aurvana Live. They're $65 and sound pretty good, are light and you won't need an amp. They are supposed to have the same drivers as the Denon D1001.

Apr 26, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #3 of 9
For $100, you can buy an MS-1, Alessandro's equivalent of the $150 SR-125. To me, that's a good deal.

Apr 26, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #5 of 9
The Alessandro MS-1s are a great way to go around the price bracket.

Apr 26, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirJulius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So those headphones you're suggesting are good all arounders and worth the price? Or would I be better off getting cheaper multiple set of phones?

There's no such thing as better for cheaper. Buy the best you can afford, and use them with a reasonable good source if you can, or look to add one later. Grados don't lack bass, they're just not doof monsters. The bass is well defined and natural. The better the phnoes you buy, the more quality over qaunatity of bass is what you'll likely get.

Trying to buy multiple phones for different types of music (especially at >$150) is kind of silly - and yes, plenty on here do that with higher end phones, and I still think it's silly. While some might have strong preferences for the way a certain phone does a certain genre, it doesn't mean the phone itself is lacking at other things.

I have open and closed and sometimes prefer to listen to one of the other, regardless of what I'm listening to. You have to ask if you need isolation, in which case the closed shures are good. If not, then the MS1 is a great phone at a great price.

Apr 26, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #8 of 9
For a 1st volley the Grado sr60is' do a great job assuming open cans are ok. I think their bass is quite punchy and I enjoy several different genres of music from them. They sound great right from a soundcard or player and are pretty easy to drive. Then you can work on upgrading the source, which will make you want to upgrade to better phones, and soon...you can probably figure it out from there!

Apr 26, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #9 of 9
Different phones for different peoples.
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back