Different Philips HPs
Jan 15, 2005 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Langrath

100+ Head-Fier
I had Philips HP 910 once. I was very satisfied with them. Then there was an irreparable defect in them. I then bought HP890. They were not so good as HP910. They were too big to lay on a pillow with your head wearing the headphones. The head was as locked into a vice. The sound is good with one important exception. Too sharp tremble. Was softer in HP910.
Is there anybody that has compared HP 890 to HP 1000? Perhaps HP1000 is more like HP910? I would appreciate advises if I should test HP1000.

Georg

Jan 16, 2005 at 7:46 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Langrath
I had Philips HP 910 once. I was very satisfied with them. Then there was an irreparable defect in them. I then bought HP890. They were not so good as HP910. They were too big to lay on a pillow with your head wearing the headphones. The head was as locked into a vice. The sound is good with one important exception. Too sharp tremble. Was softer in HP910.
Is there anybody that has compared HP 890 to HP 1000? Perhaps HP1000 is more like HP910? I would appreciate advises if I should test HP1000.

Georg

Hi Georg,
I have never heard the HP890, but I currently own both the 910 and 1000. The 910 is currently tucked away in it's original box
wink.gif

The HP1000 is that much better than the 910. The only area in which the 910 seems to compete with it is in soundstaging, which is very good on both cans. The 1000 is more detailed across the spectrum than the 910, especially in the treble. Where the 910 can sometimes be hissy and strident, the 1000 is excellently detailed and very smooth. Mids are ultra smooth and the bass, while some may say it's bass-shy, seems very naturally presented. Imaging is terrific on the 1000, it has more of a dimensional feel that the flatter (but still fairly good) presentation on the 910. The 910 is a bit more forward sounding and aggressive, but not overly so.

The 910 is easier to drive, but even a portable can drive both adequately (IMO, others say the 1000 is difficult to drive, I have not found that to be the case straight from a Rio Karma). Both are very comfortable, the 910 is a bit lighter, but both feel light and comfy on the head. The earpads on the 1000 are the same clothy material as on the 910, which rests easily around your ears (unless you have very huge ears
biggrin.gif
).

If you can find the HP1000, and it might be difficult in the US, grab it. It is well worth the $75-$90 it seems to command, and it's value is truly well over that. It is an upgrade to the 910 in many ways, and shows it's superiority over the 910 even more with even a meager portable amp, though it clearly beats the 910 without one.

Jan 16, 2005 at 8:34 AM Post #5 of 16
I am very interested in getting a pair of HP1000s...

I cannot find any UK stockists though... i'll maybe, if I cannot manage to find anywhere - ask an European head-fier to pick me up a pair and ship them to me.

...as long as they have less bass than the HP890 that is, and by what EyeAmEye is saying, that looks to be the case
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2005 at 9:11 AM Post #6 of 16
The HP1000 is a much more "complete" phone. Where as the HP890 has its plus points, it has its downsides (the "loudness bass" for instance).

The HP1000 has better overall resolution, better trebles and mid, and perhaps more importantly a much more "Hi-Fi bass". Easy to drive, and sounds good from almost any headphone out.

I think where as the HP890 has actual flaws (I still prefer them for TV/computer games but that's a different story...), the HP1000 only have sins of omission compared to more high-end offerings and are definetly worth the money...

Hope i helped

/Q

Jan 16, 2005 at 9:12 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
I am very interested in getting a pair of HP1000s...

I cannot find any UK stockists though... i'll maybe, if I cannot manage to find anywhere - ask an European head-fier to pick me up a pair and ship them to me.

...as long as they have less bass than the HP890 that is, and by what EyeAmEye is saying, that looks to be the case
biggrin.gif

It is pretty safe to say that the HP1000 will never be a bassheads dream. It's there, and can go deep, just isn't overblown. Very tuneful, I'd say.

Jan 16, 2005 at 10:15 AM Post #8 of 16
Jan 16, 2005 at 12:23 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quoth
The HP1000 has better overall resolution, better trebles and mid, and perhaps more importantly a much more "Hi-Fi bass". Easy to drive, and sounds good from almost any headphone out.

I'm very interested to see your comment on midtreble comparison between 890 and 1000, as it is my biggest complain, a big midtreble peak and those sibilants ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye
If you can find the HP1000, and it might be difficult in the US, grab it. It is well worth the $75-$90 it seems to command, and it's value is truly well over that.

Where ?? I heard that 890 are about $100ish in the US and only cheap in this region.

Jan 16, 2005 at 12:41 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
I'm very interested to see your comment on midtreble comparison between 890 and 1000, as it is my biggest complain, a big midtreble peak and those sibilants ...

I've just put a 73ohm resistance on the cable (through an early variant of the ETY 4P -> 4S adapter) and its not so bad as it goes, its like it strips a layer away from the whole sound.

...A different beast.

Jan 16, 2005 at 2:23 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

I am a little surprised that nobody comments treble on HP890. I my taste the treble is much too sharp. Is there anybody that agrees?

Georg

I guess it depends on your equipment, I definetly used to agree with you, but these days... the treble is pretty much kept in check with the current gear that i have
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2005 at 2:25 PM Post #13 of 16
I have the HP890, never tried any other Phillips can. The 890 are mostly unused now (I get them out when I want a nice soundstage - I think the angled drivers in the 890 make them sound somewhat more spaciously natural, or course this also means they have to have big ear cups).
I too found the highs rough. They do get better after several hundred hours of playing music. But even then they are sometimes harsh.
The 890 also have a tubby bass when played through a high impedance headphone jack (the kind found on most consumer speaker amplifiers). They sound better when played from a low impedance headphone jack, but, still get muddy when several bass instruments play at the same time.

Jan 16, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

I am a little surprised that nobody comments treble on HP890. I my taste the treble is much too sharp.

Sorry I said midtreble on my post above where it should've been upper mid / lower treble. Those area are a real pain to my ears before they get into treble - but no, I don't think you're alone. At the price they're amazingly a-ok, but hi fi phones they are not.

Jan 17, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
Where ?? I heard that 890 are about $100ish in the US and only cheap in this region.

Not sure I'm reading your question correctly. Are you looking for the 890 for the price I quoted, or the 1000? I was talking about the 1000, and a froogle search brings up a few US online stores that advertise the 1000 for anywhere between $75-90. I don't know if they have them in stock or not, but that is the price they sell them for. I was lucky enough to find one on Ebay from a random seller, brand-new, and won it for $40. It's the biggest headphone steal I've ever made. It has replaced, in no particular order, Grado SR325, SR225, Beyer DT440, Senn HD25-1, HD595, AKG 240S, 271S, Philips HP910, and, most recently, and all of course, IMO, Audio Technica AD1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back