different opamps for headstage lyrix?
Dec 23, 2007 at 11:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

panda

1000+ Head-Fier
just ordered the lyrix total and i was wondering if anyone has tried the LM6172 in theirs? i really like the porta corda sound and unfamiliar with the ad8397. comparisons would be appreciated. also, is it easy to swap them out? i've only rolled with a meta42 and it was a pain in the ass.
i prefer clearer highs than better bass if that's any consolation.

Dec 28, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #2 of 15
Hey panda, I'm thinkin about getting the lyrix total pro usb. When you get it, can you tell me how the bass is? Heard it was a little light.... I like the fact that there is crossfeed on it!

Dec 28, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #3 of 15
i opted for the regular version with upgraded parts because i would never use any of those extra features. i especially don't like crossfeed. i don't have other amps to compare to or similar headphones as you but i can tell you impressions of my setup i suppose.

Dec 28, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #4 of 15
what can i say I'm a sucker for gimmicks.... anyways yeah, tell me your impressions for sure.

Dec 28, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #5 of 15
I have the Total Pro usb Headstage Lyrix. The bass without the bass boost is in fact a little light for my taste, but with the bass boost on, the bass gets really heavy and goes low which is perfect for electronic music + dub/reggae. I find the Lyrix bass boost to be better than the one on JSeaber's Cmoy V2.00. The Cmoy bass boost is heavier but the bass doesn't go as low as I wish and it's also less clear/defined when compared to the Lyrix.

As for op-amps rolling, I have only tried the AD8620 and I could barely notice any difference except the AD8620 chip seems less smooth.

I'm also very curious to know what suggestion people have concerning opamp rolling for the lyrix.

Jan 13, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 15
just came in yesterday. out of the box it's pretty good. the bass is not shy at all, i dont know where you got that impression from.

today i tried moving the ad8397 opamp to its buffer stage but it fried on me. right now i'm using LM49720 with the original LM6172 in buffer stage and it sounds more neutral/refined. i liked the presentation of the ad8397 more though, it was in your face and bass was punchier. i want to get another ad8397 so i can compare. this is really the only opamp i was interested in though, unless there is a different one that can resolve even more detail.

really enjoying this amp with beyer dt931 with a 100ohm adapter. more transparent than the ad8610 2x buf634 meta42 with dedicated power supply i had long time ago, although that wasnt even really portable. regardless i'm impressed at what tiny thing puts out.

something that is weird - when the switch is on off, i can still hear a faint amount of music going through, is that because the volume/switch is crappy or is this an issue i should be worried about?

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 15
I just picked up a PRO Total version of the Lyrix and would have to agree that the bass without boost sounds about the same as far as volume is concerned as my other amps (XM4 with AD8620, mSEED, and Xtra).

With the boost, the bass sounds more refined and deeper with the Lyrix than the XM4 with boost. That is just an initial impression as the Lyrix only had a bit over 40 hrs on it last time I gave it a listen. Haven't really put in any serious back to back comparison work yet - I want over 100 hrs burn in before that.

As for music through the amp with the amp turned off, mine doesn't do that - I went and gave it a try.

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #8 of 15
UPDATE: i put in another LM49720 in the ground channel to replace the LM6172 and the sound is less bright, more refined. before there was some sharp sibilance now it's smooth. there is also less impact but this sounds more natural in the mids. same amount of detail though which is good.

Jan 14, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #9 of 15
I've like my Lyrix Total Pro USB so much, I haven't felt the need to roll opamps. And, it has the best synergy with my Grado's as is, even with bass boost off.

I did put a pair of AD797 in my iBasso D1 and Xin SuperMacro 3 with improvements. I have another pair on order to try in one of my 2:1 adapters if I feel like it, and I do have a ton of good opamps I can try in it, but it just hasn't been needed. Same way with my iBasso P2 - it sounds good enough to leave alone, even though the opamps are socketed.

I know I have at hand the LME49720NA x2, LM4562 x2, LMH6643 x2, AD746, AD8066, LTC6241HV, OPA2111, and AD823 x2. I have only used the AD8616 and AD8656 for the iBasso D1 DAC - the 8616 is reported to blow easily in the wrong socket like main amp socket in a D1.

Jan 14, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've like my Lyrix Total Pro USB so much, I haven't felt the need to roll opamps. And, it has the best synergy with my Grado's as is, even with bass boost off.

Which Grados as you list several?

Jan 14, 2008 at 9:35 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1M1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which Grados as you list several?

ALL of them, the RS-2 being used the most.
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #12 of 15
after listening for a while, using lme49720 for both stages the sound is really nice and detailed but it's too smooth, there is no balls. liquidity is nice at first but man does it get boring. so i put in lm6172 in the amp section and the details disappeared with a lot of warmth, the hell with that! so i moved the lm6172 to the ground where it was originally but with lme49720 as the active opamp. now the sound is not as smooth, but more immediate. bass has more impact, mids are brought forward and treble has more energy. i definately prefer this configuration. my only gripe is that there is obvious sibilance but i'm willing to live with that as the rest sounds great, including the treble.

the difference is quite a bit, just like swapping out tubes. i don't hear much difference in cables as that is way more subtle but this is substantial.

Aug 2, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #13 of 15
update: i swapped out the lm6172 in the ground channel for ad8397 and has brought fourth more improvement. the sound is venturing into meier corda ha-1 category. not quite there but damn close, only slightly behind in the detail/resolution dept. that's phenominal performance out of a portable.

Aug 2, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #14 of 15
The LM6172 in the ground channel kinda smoothes out the sound, making it more forgiving of the source material, I think. But it does have less attack. With a good source, the AD8397 in both opamp sockets can rock, and suck batteries at the same time.

Jul 20, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #15 of 15
Hello fellow Audiophiles,Does any one know the requirements/specs for the rechargeable 9volt battery ? I am in the process of looking for a battery that is best for the Headstage Lyrix Pro ? Thank You.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back