different music in different cans.
May 28, 2004 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

DonCorleone

100+ Head-Fier
Good Day Good Sir.

Heavy rap bass music like Biggie - Ready To Die and the what I call "Master P bass" (example: Ghetto Model), Which of the followin' cans handle that kind of music best; UE-5c, ETY-4s/p, RS-1/2, CD3000 ?
Or maybe some other cans in this price range handle it better ?

Thank You Good Sir.

May 28, 2004 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 14
A tough one... None are really good for hip-hop/rap etc. with heavy bass where you want to hear the "phat bass". The Grados may be the best of the ones from the list, I think, judging from reviews of the phones.

IMO groovalizers are what you are looking for, for example the AKG K240S and Beyerdynamic DT531 (those are always sold for 1095 SKr from Ljudmakaren (sp?)). I know you will think that paying more money would make it sound better - yes, but providing greater neutrality and details isn't what you probably are loking for with rap/hip-hop in the end.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 28, 2004 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 14
I've listened to my teachers RS-2 one time and that was truly amazing. But I just got to listen to Norah Jones and Marvin Gaye so I was just curious how the rs and other high-end cans would sound like with rap. The problem is that I want the headphone to sound good with Rap, Jazz, Michael Jackson, Classic, Soul and even Rock...so do the AKG's and beyerdynamic sound good with the other music as well or do I have to buy the AKG's/Beyerdynamic to listen to rap music and Grado cans with the other music. I do got a big problem here ... I'm confused
confused.gif
. well well until I've figured out a way I go with my HP890 wich I'm right now in love with
600smile.gif

May 28, 2004 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 14
A lot of my hip-hop stuff (admittedly, not much, I'm not a huge fan of it, and none of the hip-hop music I have is well mixed) sounds great with ms-1's. I just got the dt531 but I haven't as yet listened to any hiphop with them.

A big "Uhhhhhhh" out to Master P though.
tongue.gif

May 28, 2004 at 10:38 PM Post #5 of 14
heey It would've been really nice if you could just do a little comparsion between the dt531 and the ms-1 with hip-hop music ! and of course a even bigger MP "uuuuuhhhhhhh"

Thank You Good Sir.

May 29, 2004 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by DonCorleone
The problem is that I want the headphone to sound good with Rap, Jazz, Michael Jackson, Classic, Soul and even Rock...so do the AKG's and beyerdynamic sound good with the other music as well or do I have to buy the AKG's/Beyerdynamic to listen to rap music and Grado cans with the other music.

Most headphones will sound good with most music. Now if you want it to sound GREAT with all of them, then you may have a problem. Grados can do rap, jazz, classical, rock just as Senn and Beyer and Sony and ATH and ETYs, etc. can. It will all depend on how discerning and critical you are.

The usual response, I think, for rap is "get the DT770".
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2004 at 5:42 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by DonCorleone
Good Day Good Sir.

Heavy rap bass music like Biggie - Ready To Die and the what I call "Master P bass" (example: Ghetto Model), Which of the followin' cans handle that kind of music best; UE-5c, ETY-4s/p, RS-1/2, CD3000 ?
Or maybe some other cans in this price range handle it better ?

If you don't plan on getting a headphone amp you''l need to be cautious about which headphones you choose or you may be dissapointed with them.

I would go for the Audio-Technica ATH-A900 or the new Sennheiser 595 depending on whether you want open or closed heaadphones.

May 29, 2004 at 9:53 AM Post #9 of 14
sorry plainsong, Thank You Good Lady.

The two cans I'm most into is Grado RS-1 with the RA-1 amp and UE-5c/ETY's because I've just realized that I don't wan't a big statue on my head again. But I think I don't got that big problem afterall 'cause I don't usually listen that critically to rap/hip-hop I just wanna hear the low bass and, right me if i'm wrong, both grado's and UE/ETY goes pretty low.

It might take some time before I'll buy new cans though... I've been searching around head-fi for almost a year now just to see wich I would like so now I might need one more year to decide
icon10.gif

May 29, 2004 at 11:05 AM Post #10 of 14
Well, the dt531's are fairly hard to drive and would need more than a portable amp to really shine, although they're pleasent enough with the Total Bithead. In that setting, the 8-mile soundtrack had bass depth but lacked slam. I also heard the faults in the mixing too much. The ms-1 had that slam "When I speak I blow out your tweeters" heheh, not on these pal.

Also, the ms-1 has that advantage of working well unamped and then being appreciative of an amp once you get one. Don't let the budget price fool you, these are some great headphones.

And btw, get the Grado flat pads from TTVJ (head-fi sponsor). This will really give you that slam.

May 29, 2004 at 11:23 AM Post #11 of 14
thank's ! The MS-1 is right now on the top of my list. But do you think it will be a big improvement from my 890 ? And what amp would you recommend to the ms-1 ? I've thought of a PPA or maybe even the RA-1 .

May 29, 2004 at 12:02 PM Post #12 of 14
I'd hardly say "no, you shouldn't get a PPA" but you don't absolutely need one. I'd say get the ms-1's first and see how you like them and what you find lacking or what you want more of, and then add the amp from there. I'd say any portable amp would do you proud. I'd also assume that the RA-1 should be a good match, but I don't know for sure.

You'll loose the big soundstage of the 890s, but to my ears that's all you'll loose. A find the highs of the 890 to be a tad fatiguing, but not too bad - I only notice it if listening critically. The ms-1 has a more natural sound.

May 29, 2004 at 12:52 PM Post #13 of 14
Ety's - no way, too sterile, boring bass
RS-1 - increadible PRaT, but doesn't go low enough for music that is many times based on low bass signals which their strength is important as a part of the mix. although it gets better with flats, yet soundtage reduces and flatens even more.
both flats and bowls has "in the head" presentation; might bother you after a period of owning. probably might happen on the MS-1 (never heard them, but you know the grado/alessandro thing), especially with flats. OTOH, both might groove your ass out to a point that you won't care
rs1smile.gif

CD3000 - go low enough, excellent PRaT, but they are not groovalizers, as funny as it sounds. they might lack the "substance" in the mid and bass departments (although they are not lacking) that the RS-1 will deliver much better.

Daroid phrased the groovalizer issue very well. i think that the RS-1 are a bit too expensive (considering that they are not perfect with low extension) for what you need your headphones for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back