Different Grado Pads- Bowls
Jul 15, 2005 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

DaHoboFest

Banned
Ok, I just took off the pads from my Grados and I'm wearing them without pads.

They sound brighter and a little clearer. If I were to buy bowls, would it give me the clearer sound? While still having the comfort.

Jul 15, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #2 of 20
You are doing two things by taking off the comfies-

1)You are removing foam from between your ears and the driver. That's always a good thing, which is why both Bowls and Flats and modded comfies/VWAPs have holes in the middle of the pads.

2)You are putting the drivers closer to your ears. Thus, you may not like the bowls, since they actually put the ears further away from the drivers. Flats get you close, and VWAP pads even closer (Senn replacement pads).

Jul 15, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHoboFest
I know, but I tried them with me pulling the drivers a little away from my ear.

I dont like the added brightness, but I want the clarity.

Wait, do bowls even fit Sr60s?

Yep, all foam grado pads will fit all grado cans!

Jul 15, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHoboFest
what's the best place to buy them at?

Hmm, the VWAPS can be had directly from the Senn site - 414 replacement pads? like 6 bucks a pop.

Flats can only be had at Todd the Vinyl Junkies. link is in the sponsors above, $25?

Bowls are all over the place. You can get them anywhere, just shop around. Todd, Headroom, the store you got the SR60s from etc...and try used. Alot of folks hate the bowls but have them since they come stock on the higher models. So put a WTB in the sale forums, someone might unload some for a good price, i bet there are even unworn pairs out there.

Jul 15, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #10 of 20
I'll mention Radioshack #33-379 (I think that's the model number...) pads. They're kind of like smaller, thinner comfies. Relatively comfy, and have quite a bit of bass slam (on my SR125s, anyway). My only complaint, which is a small one, is that they darken the sound just a bit too much for my taste. But those who say you can't "feel" the bass impact on a pair of headphones should give them a try
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Erm...getting on topic, I like the bowls. I've never found them particularly uncomfortable, but IMO they're not award-winning in the comfort department either.

Jul 15, 2005 at 9:44 PM Post #11 of 20
I like the bowls - They are currently in residence on my MS1's...
smily_headphones1.gif
They aren't as bad as people make out (comfort wise) As you've found - the drivers being a little bit further away from your ears makes things a little crisper and faster at the cost of a little low frequency depth... A worthwile trade off though IMO of course
rs1smile.gif

Jul 16, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #15 of 20
Soundwise: Bowls all the way for me. That's the way they were meant to sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back