Different Complete Jack Johnsons?
Dec 20, 2005 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kerelybonto

doo-di-doo-di-dum doo-di-dum doo-di-doo-di-dum
Is there anything at all different between the 2005 edition and 2003 edition of Miles Davis's The Complete Jack Johnson Sessions?

Amazon's descriptions indicate that both versions have the same tracks on the same number of discs, but picture different artwork on the box. (Amazon also says that the 2003 edition is part of the Columbia Box Set series and fails to give that notation for the 2005 version.) BMG also sells both editions, but does not indicate that there are any differences. Only the 2003 edition is in AMG allmusic's database (and pictured with the artwork Amazon shows for the 2005 edition, further confusing things).

So ... does anyone know whether there is anything at all different about these two sets? I can likely assume the audio's the same (i.e., same remasters, etc) given the time between the release dates, but are there differences in the accompanying materials at all?

Thanks,

Eric

Dec 21, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #2 of 7
The only thing different is the packaging. The 2003 edition has a metal spine and is roughly CD size, the 2005 is a long box and much bigger overall. Its actually a bit nicer, imo, just a little more difficult to store. All the miles boxes are reissued in those formats to saze money (for both producer and consumer.)

Dec 21, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 7
What coltrane said is correct. Columbia has released them in the "deluxe packaging first which is done like a book with expensive paper for the liner notes and so forth.

They later release the other version later and usually slightly reduced with regular paper and so on. At the borders near me, they have the original version at $79 and the new one at $49. Not worth the 30 buck difference. Of course they do count on dummies like me who have to have it the moment it comes out so I have ended up buying the more expensive versions in the case of "Silent Way" and Miles Davis and Gil Evans"

By the way, the Gil Evans and the Miles and Coltrane boxes have been worth every penny

Dec 21, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the replies. Interesting that on Amazon the newer one is actually the more expensive (by 99 cents).

Coltrane, you say that the '05 edition is "a bit nicer," but, snoman1, you imply the opposite. Which, if they were the same price (as at Amazon), would you get? (I also have some other Columbia Miles Davis sets, so I suppose I should go with the older version for consistency's sake.)

Eric

Dec 21, 2005 at 11:20 PM Post #5 of 7
if they are the same price I would go with the older ones. They have a nice metal spine, better paper and perhaps most importantly are close to standard CD size and therefore fit in my case right along with the rest of my cd's

Dec 22, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #6 of 7
I say the new one is "a bit nicer' because I like the look more, its a bit bigger and the booklet is removable, making it alot easier to read. I am actually semi-debating trading my boxes for the newer style. But only if I can get them all to match. If you already have metal spine versions, I would go with that for the Jack Johnson.

But as far as contruction quality goes, the old ones are definitely better.

Also, the Cellar Door set FINALLY came out. But that if you can.

Dec 22, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #7 of 7
Thank you both again. And, Coltrane, thanks for pointing out the Cellar Door Sessions release just in time for Christmas. Definitely will get that one way or another. ...

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back