Different CD player equals better sound?
May 19, 2002 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dougli

500+ Head-Fier
My current source is a Toshiba SD-2705 DVD/CD player, bought for its video capabilities, not for headphone listening. I have an adequate headphone amp, interconnects and headphones. Would it be worth the cost to spend somewhere around $300-$400 USD to get a replacement CD player, and get noticably better sound? Or, as in most things, would I have to spend a lot more? Any CD player recommendations?

Thanks

May 19, 2002 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 4
Go to the Audiogon site or Audio Asylum and check the discussion area for the digital section. You'll get more help there.
Lots of archived posts on CDP's of every price range.

May 20, 2002 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 4
That player will certainly have a digital output. Unless you want a separate CD player because you want to put it somewhere else (i.e. not on top of the DVD player) you should seriously look into a DAC instead. A good DAC can turn a crummy digital source into a spectacular one.

May 20, 2002 at 1:55 AM Post #4 of 4
Another option is to get a seperate DAC. Your DVD has both optical and coaxial digital audio output so pretty much any DAC would work. For your price range, I'd suggest something like the Art DI/O (~$125). Now, this is only capable of handling digital stereo inputs, but since your DVD is not capable of DVD-A, etc. this won't be a problem. Plus, a CDP at your price range would mostly likely not support any of these formats anyways.

There is also the option of getting a DAC like the MSB Link... It is upgradable to support these formats, so if in the future you get a DVD or CDP that has this feature, you could still use the DAC properly. Unfortunately, it costs quite a bit more (and the stereo output is similar in quality as the Art DI/O).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back