Differences Sony MDR-EX51 and MDR-EX71
Mar 28, 2004 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

leokennis

100+ Head-Fier
After using MX500's for a year now, I want to move 'a level up'. Since I'm not rich at all, I have a budget of €40,- ($48.47 ATM). I am in doubt wich earbuds to buy, the Sony MDR-EX51 or the MDR-EX71.
What's the big difference between them? Technically they are the same but I heard the EX71's are made of softer rubber
confused.gif

Wat I'd like to know:
1-Which ones are best value for money?
2-Is there a (big) comfort difference between the 2?
3-How usefull/handy is this noise-cancelling principle? When you're cycling (I live in Holland
wink.gif
), does it realy cancels all sound or can you still hear some of it?
4-Any other comments on one of the 2.

Thanks in advance!

Mar 28, 2004 at 6:21 PM Post #3 of 12
if string.contains = cancel noise
{
raplace by String "isolate sound"
}

You get the point
wink.gif

Mar 28, 2004 at 6:25 PM Post #4 of 12
yes, i have a comment on the two, your $15 mx500 sound twice better than the ex51 and ex71. the ex71 is sort of dark soundnig and have tons of bass, which is not my taste.

i dont know if audiocubes.com ship to holland, but the sharp md33s i bought for $49 shipped, was very good sounding canalphone for its price. if you like low bass driven and rock type music. also have a smooth and warm sound. quite comfortable. just the cord is a little long, but i tied it up. they don't have the overbloated bass issue as with the sony's.

Mar 28, 2004 at 6:54 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by terrymx
i dont know if audiocubes.com ship to holland,

I'm almost certain they do.

Do you want earbuds or are small headphones an option too?
Cuase then you might like The Sennheiser PX100. Cost 39 something euros in The Netherlands.

Mar 28, 2004 at 7:03 PM Post #7 of 12
Small headphones are not an option; they uin my hair (that sounded gay
cool.gif
). I tried senn. PMX-60's but they aren't really comfortable.

An MX500 may be value for money...but they are far away form the top if I may believe this forum. So I'd like to move up on the sound ladder a bit
wink.gif

Mar 28, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #8 of 12
The PMX60 is moving down the ladder. Sound so awfull in comparison to the MX500. I've heard them both and didn't expect them to be that bad.
frown.gif

You need more money for an upgrade.
The MX500 are amongst the best earbuds under the €40. I wouldn't know any other earbuds for that price that would be an upgrade.

The Koss ksc55 behind the neck headphones are the only ones I can think of that you might like.

Mar 28, 2004 at 10:02 PM Post #10 of 12
www.blutin.com have good prices, price in Euro (as well as other currencies), and ship everywhere...they have little sub-depos scattered around the globe but most stuff is shipped directly from asia.

They stock both the sony and the sharp earbuds. I have the sony 70's and am very happy with them for my portable needs. The sharp's are also worth a try.

Goodluck

Mar 28, 2004 at 10:34 PM Post #12 of 12
The isolation is OK with the EX71's, better than most other buds, but not anywhere near the Etys. The best use I have for my EX71's is for riding my stationary exercise bike; otherwise, I'd have to use my CD780's and the pads tend to get a bit warm and sweaty.

I'm not overly thrilled with these little Sony buds, but, for $45 or so, they do the job. They are perfct for dance/techno types of music where there's not a lot of detail and crispness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back