Differences in volume in day-to-day hearing
Nov 12, 2010 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Inceptor

New Head-Fier
Hopefully there isn't another thread on this specifically, I did a search but there were too many results to wade through.

I listen to my Denon D2000s every day, and it seems that the volume of my music changes every day. I am running them straight out of my sound card, and I do not tinker with any volume settings anywhere so I am pretty sure that it is not my rig that is a factor here.

I do not expose myself to any loud noises for extended periods of time (i.e. my ears are treated mildly), so I doubt that is a factor either. My ears are pretty much treated the same every day. Nevertheless, I have noticed for the past month that a song that may sound quiet if I listen to it one day, but on another day it will sound reasonably loud. It is not a substantial difference, but the difference is still prominent enough to be noticeable.

This is a mild nuisance, but I was wondering: does anyone else experience this?

Nov 12, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 11
I too experience this, though for me its more the time of day. maybe it has something to do with the amounts of wax in your ear canals.

Nov 12, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #4 of 11
Magic! ..............Or your mind is remembering a certain note/sound grouped together in a familiar pattern so you tell you mind unconsciously to listen to this same tune more intently when hearing "it" again. The same group of notes only sound like they are louder because you are listening to these grouped notes more intently, then others.....    (I like the one about the three bears better, also)
wink.gif

Nov 12, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
Magic! ..............Or your mind is remembering a certain note/sound grouped together in a familiar pattern so you tell you mind unconsciously to listen to this same tune more intently when hearing "it" again. The same group of notes only sound like they are louder because you are listening to these grouped notes more intently, then others.....    (I like the one about the three bears better, also)
wink.gif

I'm not sure? During the day..in a quiet room I usually put my volume at 35-40%..At night I can handle 25-30% volume..I find that strange..maybe it is magic

Nov 12, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
Quote:
wink.gif

I'm not sure? During the day..in a quiet room I usually put my volume at 35-40%..At night I can handle 25-30% volume..I find that strange..maybe it is magic

I'm the same, before a race, or when I'm energetic I'd listen to music louder. Maybe to counter my environment, maybe because I can "handle" louder music, or maybe just because I don't realize how loud it is. But times like now, where it's getting towards midnight or I'm in my bed, if I tried those same volumes I'd have a headache after a few minutes.

It makes sense, because your brain is already accustomed to that volume level, I assume.

Nov 12, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

xXFallenAngelXx and others,
Really, that is just the opposite from how most people hear as the day progresses. By night fall your hearing of any given sound usually needs to be gradually turned up to hear non-amplified s nnnound through human ears at the same DB's.. Do this test....Leave your car radio/CD player at the same volume when you park it for the night, the next morning when your ears have had the chance to relax, the same volume on your car radio/CD player from the night before will shock you as to how LOUD it sounds in the morning... PS, You want to be able to enjoy your music in your later yrs. then ALWAYS use hearing protection when using power tools/Lawn equip. etc.etc.  You'll be glad you did....take it from an older fart with (thank God) still excellent hearing.........
L3000.gif

Nov 12, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
Quote:

xXFallenAngelXx and others,
Really, that is just the opposite from how most people hear as the day progresses. By night fall your hearing of any given sound usually needs to be gradually turned up to hear non-amplified s nnnound through human ears at the same DB's.. Do this test....Leave your car radio/CD player at the same volume when you park it for the night, the next morning when your ears have had the chance to relax, the same volume on your car radio/CD player from the night before will shock you as to how LOUD it sounds in the morning... PS, You want to be able to enjoy your music in your later yrs. then ALWAYS use hearing protection when using power tools/Lawn equip. etc.etc.  You'll be glad you did....take it from an older fart with (thank God) still excellent hearing.........
L3000.gif

Thx for your help! You can call me Fallen btw..if that really changes anything lol <333

Nov 14, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #10 of 11
when you get tired, your brain process things slower, which result stress listening to that headphones and also your brain is tired to adjust the input volume for you which makes it sounded loud

when you are active, your brain functions effectively, collecting what is needed perfectly and cleanly, and also your brain adjust the input volume well

there are many factors too... this are some of the factors I know

whoops... this is close to similar like what 9pintube  trying to say XD

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #11 of 11
I'm certain that an audiologist should be able to get to the bottom of this. Fatigue plays a role in this, as does recovery (rest). I think that there's a physiological aspect that's well-documented, but it's possible that processing sounds in your brain is an element. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back