Differences between oamps?
Aug 15, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
Hi! Could someone explain what are the differences between different oamps? Thanks!

Just different sound signature I guess as some are warmer sounding then others.

Aug 15, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Perhaps, but nothing in that article mentions perhaps the finest portable amp opamp on the market - the AD8397.  It is very persnickety and needs just the right layout to keep from oscillating, but a 310ma current pulse capability is hard to ignore.  Portable amps are typically used to power low-impedance headphones (there are very few 300-600 ohm portable headphones) and that kind of current pulse is pretty hard to beat.

Aug 16, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
Perhaps, but nothing in that article mentions perhaps the finest portable amp opamp on the market - the AD8397.  It is very persnickety and needs just the right layout to keep from oscillating, but a 310ma current pulse capability is hard to ignore.  Portable amps are typically used to power low-impedance headphones (there are very few 300-600 ohm portable headphones) and that kind of current pulse is pretty hard to beat.

The OP is just asking about the differences between opamps not the best opamp
and the article was written as a helpful guide for those who wanted to purchase his company's amplifier and didnt know which opamp to choose among the given available options
but seems to me there are differing opinions in the finest opamp.. that's why there are people who even created threads how to mod the X3 to replace the AD8397
http://www.head-fi.org/t/669830/fiio-x3-mod-ad8397-to-ad8620

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #6 of 8
DR Sheep got it right-differences in detail /warmth etc - I have changed many 100s and in contrast to the objective cafe --no they dont all sound the same.On this I am subjective.

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #8 of 8
I haven't tried other opamps on the UHA-6S MK2, but the AD8610 certainly sounds excellent to my ears.

By the way, Nick at Leckerton is a very knowledgeable guy and he has my respect, not only his quality amp but his willingness/patience to help a newbie like me to understand many basics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back