Differences between iTunes and dBPowerAmp when ripping in Apple Lossless
Aug 3, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #16 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WMA 24 bit files get converted to 16 bit by Itunes when encoding to ALAC. AIFF is the best intermediate codec.. keeps tags, and retains 24 bit when converted to ALAC

Seconded. AIFF is the way to go. It has no compression and is essentially an alternative to WAV, but as craiglester states it fully support tags.

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #17 of 17
Sorry for digging up this old thread, but I just started re-ripping my entire CD collection in AIFF using dBpoweramp. I've gotten about half of my CDs ripped already. Is dBpoweramp's AIFF encoder anything I should be worried about? Is it also reverse engineered like its ALAC encoder was? I want to use AIFF because I read that it might sound better due to the fact that the computer does not have to decompress on-the-fly. Plus, I have tons of hard drive space so I'm not worried about the bigger file sizes.

But I also read that AIFFs can be corrupted by simply embedding a JPEG. Is this true? Or is it just FUD? I read about it here. I'm currently using the AIFFs exclusively in iTunes on my Mac. So far I've been able to tag the AIFFs with album art and other meta tags with no issues whatsoever so I'm confused. I don't plan to use anything else but Macs and iTunes for the foreseeable future (I'm using the Mac version of dBpoweramp, by the way).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back