Differences between HD25 and PPX3
Apr 21, 2005 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

rcgrant

Head-Fier
I'd like to buy a tube amp in the near future and I've narrowed my choice down to these two amps (or three, considering both PPX3 versions) because they get the most consistently favorable comments arround here. However, I don't have any criteria by which to make the final decision. There are plenty of people who have heard both and their preferences between the two seem to be evenly split, but I've seen little description of their specific characterisitcs. What sets these amps apart from one another?

Apr 21, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 3
Search for reviews of the two amps, several people have attempted to qualitatively describe their sounds. I've heard neither so this is second hand, but the general consensus is that the PPX3 exhibits more tube "bloom" than the HD25, which is perhaps a bit more "accurate."

Apr 21, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #3 of 3
i haven't heard the HD25 much, so i can't really comment on it, but the PPX3, with the solen stage one power supply upgrade and the proper tubes, is more resolving and detailed than the Corda HA-1 MkII. it is warmer, but i wouldn't call it "bloomy".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back