Differences between EMU 0404 USB and Audiophile FW - soundwise
Mar 31, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #16 of 37
The 0404 PCI has gone through a revision, and the new version uses the same AKM 4396 DAC as the USB one. I believe the previous one was AKM 4395, which is very good in its own right--EMU probably economized on opamps or something (not wanting 0404 to compete too closely with 1212M?)

Apr 1, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #18 of 37
I believe "harsh" refers to the "old" 0404 PCI?

Apr 1, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then how can the PCI version sound bright and harsh and the USB version doesn't?

Could be due to the dirty power that is inside the computer.

Apr 1, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by makasin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could be due to the dirty power that is inside the computer.

Can we stop spreading this FUAD already?
rolleyes.gif
Unless you have a ****-poor motherboard and a no-name power supply that came bundled with your $20 case, you are quite unlikely to have problems from "dirty power", especially on a pro-level soundcard.

Apr 1, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then how can the PCI version sound bright and harsh and the USB version doesn't?

Layout, routing, circuit design, all play a part. And I do not consider PCI version sound harsh, perhaps that is just me.

Apr 16, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahriman4891 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can we stop spreading this FUAD already?
rolleyes.gif
Unless you have a ****-poor motherboard and a no-name power supply that came bundled with your $20 case, you are quite unlikely to have problems from "dirty power", especially on a pro-level soundcard.

I really hope you can back up that statement with a little more proof than "the 0404 is a pro level soundcard!" =P

Jul 14, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #24 of 37
Geee, dudes, where is the *actual* comparison between Audiophile Firewire and 0404USB? All I'm reading here are merely "beer opinions" no offense intended.

Jul 14, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdWiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Geee, dudes, where is the *actual* comparison between Audiophile Firewire and 0404USB? All I'm reading here are merely "beer opinions" no offense intended.

The typical Head-Fi response to this is... you should buy both and do the comparison for us, then sell the loser on the F/S forum.
wink.gif

Jul 14, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #28 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by chong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A bit OT, but does the 0404 USB sound similar to the 0404 PCI?

I had a 0404 PCI (using AK4395VF), and it sounded cold and fatiguing through my Aego2 speakers.

I have a 0404 PCI and the difference between it and my esound Cd-e5 is very very small through analog outs. A slight raise in mids on the pci , slightly wider soundstage on the E5.

I have even routed the E5 through its digital inputs and A/B tested them and the difference is even smaller. Slightly more bass and wider soundstage on E5. Mids and top are exactly the same.

Ill put it another way , I couldnt turn the hifi on and know that I was playing the PCI 0404 if I chose the wrong input on my amp by acident

other gear used was a Dussun V8i Amp , Tdl Studio 0.75m speakers with nordost cables.

Jul 15, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #29 of 37
Its harder to detect differences with speakers than phones.

I didn't like the 0404 pci version at all. It lacked texture and was harsh. That's how I would describe it. I tested it with rmaa but it gave excellent results. That's why I don't trust sound quality measurements too much. I tried modding it (bypassing the caps made a very nice improvement) but then destroyed it. I can't do a direct comparison, but I'd say the 0404 usb is better.

edit: I had the 4395 version.

Jul 15, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's why I don't trust sound quality measurements too much.

The best instrument would be your hearing? I know I trust mine...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back