differences between amp&dac
Oct 16, 2009 at 7:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

abrocod

New Head-Fier
I am an new in playing amplifier. And I saw some articles in headroom but I am confused about the differences between Amp&Dac. Are they the same things?
Is it make big difference in improving the sound quality?
Is that necessary for shure se530 to get a amplifier?
thanks for answering the questions.

Oct 16, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #2 of 3
They are not the same. DAC is responsible for converting digital signal (e.g. MP3) into analog signal which is then fed into the amp for amplification. Speakers/phones gets the amplified signal and converts it into sound waves:

Digital source -> DAC -> amp -> speakers/phones -> your ears
happy_face1.gif

All audio devices, be it a simple iPod Shuffle or a complete hi-fi system, must have both. Portable players usually have both DAC and amp built-in so you don't need external ones.

Oct 16, 2009 at 9:50 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by pekingduck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are not the same. DAC is responsible for converting digital signal (e.g. MP3) into analog signal which is then fed into the amp for amplification. Speakers/phones gets the amplified signal and converts it into sound waves:

Digital source -> DAC -> amp -> speakers/phones -> your ears
happy_face1.gif

All audio devices, be it a simple iPod Shuffle or a complete hi-fi system, must have both.

Well, don't confuse him. You don't need an EXTERNAL dac and amp for and ipod. 'Cause tehy are already built in. The only reason to get a DAC is if you use a digital source that ouputs a digital signal. Ipods don't. So, to put it easily, DAC improves laptop sound because it bypasses the soundcard and the amp helps as well. But you only need an external amp if you're gonna use it with a mp3player, or the like. Unless it can output digital.

And no, the se530 doesn't need an amp. But it will improve with a DAC/amp combo out of a laptop.
And btw, to the guy above, hi-fi systems can use turntables

Users who are viewing this thread

Back