Differences between a few Sennheisers
Jul 22, 2005 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

SoundsGood

100+ Head-Fier
I currently own a pair of Sennheiser HD 280s. I like them, they isolate well and sound pretty decent. However, I have been looking at the HD 485 and HD 555 lately. I don't have much experience comparing different headphones, as these are the only "good" headphones I've ever owned. I'm wondering what kinds of differences I would hear if I bought one of those cans compared to the 280. I realize they are both open cans and are therefore of a different type, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on what would be different and what would be gained.

I would mainly use them from my home audio system, a Yamaha receiver. Perhaps they would get used now and then from my soon to be purchased Cowon iAudio x5L.

Much thanks!
280smile.gif

Jul 22, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 6
I would click on the "Headroom" link at the top of the site page. Then click on headphones, then click on full size headphones.

Tjhen click on the headphone of interest for you. The Senny 555 has excellent bang-for-bucks value.

Jul 22, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks. I've looked at Headroom quite a bit. They both seem like decent headphones for the prices. I guess I would maybe like a direct comparison between the 280 and the 555 or 485.

I forgot to mention these will be for classical music, mainly orchestral.

Jul 22, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 6
For the price, the HD555 sounds very good with orchestral music. I don't have experience with the 485 however.

Jul 22, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 6
I think I've read that the hd485 is too warm/undetailed for classical. I think its touted as mainly a rock can.

Jul 22, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundsGood
I currently own a pair of Sennheiser HD 280s. I like them, they isolate well and sound pretty decent. However, I have been looking at the HD 485 and HD 555 lately.

I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for, but I own the 595s, a tad more expensive but if you look on ebay you might be able to find them for $160.

A friend of mine has the Senn HD280s, I love the isolation but the 595s are a large improvment even unamped. He wasn't running an amp at all, but I have heard the 595s unamped and they had better clarity, detail, seperation, and 3d soundstage. Notes sounded "closer" to my head on the 280s if that makes any sense.

If you can stretch your budget you may want to get the Senn 595s, or the 555s which are similar and get a decent amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back