Difference in SQ Between the Bose QC2 and QC15? Worth Upgrading?
Dec 8, 2009 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

SeaBreezer

New Head-Fier
I own a pair of QC2s which I have found to be satisfactory for what they purport to do, however, I've never been truly impressed by the somewhat muddy bass-reponse, or lack of clarity in the upper range. Has anyone yet had any experience with the QC15s as compared to the QC2s. Is there a significant (or even audible) difference or improvement in SQ and noise-canceling that would warrant an upgrade?

Thanks for the input all!

Dec 8, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 35
^ LOL be Nice!~

Dec 8, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 35
lol, you should check amazon reviews for better response regarding to Bose.

Dec 8, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #5 of 35
popcorn.gif

theres a reason people say bose stands for buy other sound equipment, its not that its bad, it just can never compete at its price point, youd be better off getting a set of er6i's off amazon for 50 bucks...better noise isolation too, specially with tri flanges

Dec 8, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, you should check amazon reviews for better response regarding to Bose.

Amazon reviews are nicer in regards to Bose than the consensus at HeadFi. Nicer does not always translate to more accurate however.

There are 2 or 3 reviews of the QC15 in the Full Size Headphones forum. iLounge also has a review of them, where they criticize the sound quality greatly and then give them a B+ as a grade based on noise canceling and comfort.

Dec 8, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #7 of 35
the opinion about bose around here is that they are typically overpriced for what they do offer and the reason they can charge that price is due to their better marketing of their products. so opinions in amazon or ilounge may be better appreciated than here as you can probably tell from the reaction you have already gotten.

Dec 9, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazon reviews are nicer in regards to Bose than the consensus at HeadFi. Nicer does not always translate to more accurate however.

There are 2 or 3 reviews of the QC15 in the Full Size Headphones forum. iLounge also has a review of them, where they criticize the sound quality greatly and then give them a B+ as a grade based on noise canceling and comfort.

I was only tryna say that people here don't really use bose.

Dec 9, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #9 of 35
Hi all,

Thanks for your input all! I am a newbie here, so try to go easy on me...pleeeze
normal_smile .gif
Although I'm certainly not an expert audiophile, I'd would probably categorize myself in the "knowing-a-heckuva-lot" category. I am aware that Bose isn't the best with regard to this particular product, which is why I characterized them as "satisfactory." I also realize that Bose has a better marketing machine than many other manufacturers of audiophile-grade components. A good analogy, although not quite as proportionate is the perception that Rolex watches are the best, when in fact, they are good watches, but far from the best. I've heard all kinds of funny names for Bose, but learned a new one today in one of the above posts which really had me laughing out loud: "Bose stands for buy other sound equipment." Now that's funny.
darthsmile.gif
For this particular product, I've never really come across any other alternatives, so I'm open to suggestions for alternatives that are better than the Bose QC2/QC15 models. For me, this site is a great place to share what I already know and to learn as well. I know that most of you know a great deal about the finest audio components which is why I'm happy to have joined the site. Cheers!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 9, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #10 of 35
What don't you like about your QC2; what would you want improved in a new headphone?

Where will you be using them?

How much isolation do you need?

Dec 9, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #11 of 35
IEMs provide more isolation that active noise cancellation, especially with foam or triflange tips. Typically, the farther in your ear they go the better they isolate. The Klipsch X5 or X10 isolate very well, and with Comply tips are pretty comfortable. The X10 has more bass. The X10 is more than the QC2 and the X5 is less. I like the X5 more. If you live near an airport, you might be able to audition them at an Airport Wireless store.

If you can't stand sticking something in your ear, the Audio Technica ATH-ANC7 sounds better than Bose, is almost as good with noise cancellation, can play music without the noise cancellation, and 1/3 as much. A couple of my coworkers have bought the AT at my suggestion and like them.

Dec 9, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What don't you like about your QC2; what would you want improved in a new headphone?

Where will you be using them?

How much isolation do you need?

Well, I received them as a gift and it took a while to get used to the sense of compression I felt as a result of the active noise canceling.

I think that the Bose QC2s are OK, but just lack the clarity and detail I've heard on other conventional Bose over-the-ear headphones. The bass on the QC2s can also be quite muddy at higher levels and the range of frequencies I'm able to hear isn't that great. They are comfortable to wear though and serve their purpose on planes and in cars with people who may be playing music I don't care for, but I am not awed by the SQ.

I wouldn't mind finding a pair of over the ear headphones that simply produce crystal clear sound with a superb bass response. As to active noice-canceling, if there are a pair of headphones superior in performance to the QC2s that accomplish all of the above, I'd definitely look into them for my next over the ear headphones.

Dec 9, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I've spent too much time on the internets but that looks totally inappropriate.

What the hell is that a drawing of anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back