Difference in SQ between 3.5mm jack splitter and adapter?
Mar 26, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #16 of 22
Speaking as someone with a drawer full of both types, and uses them for RMAA purposes, I can say that the cable type is always the safer bet. All of my adapters cost less than five pounds, and out of ten cable-type splitters only 2 of them were of poor quality (one had channel imbalances, the other had severe distortion). Of nine block-type splitters, five of them were unacceptable (three were faulty on arrival, two developed problems due to stress on the input plug). I know a sample size of 19 isn't much, but you can test them yourself if you have a professional sound card.

EK

Mar 26, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking as someone with a drawer full of both types, and uses them for RMAA purposes, I can say that the cable type is always the safer bet. All of my adapters cost less than five pounds, and out of ten cable-type splitters only 2 of them were of poor quality (one had channel imbalances, the other had severe distortion). Of nine block-type splitters, five of them were unacceptable (three were faulty on arrival, two developed problems due to stress on the input plug). I know a sample size of 19 isn't much, but you can test them yourself if you have a professional sound card.

EK

What are my chances with this $1.88 cable? I like the AudioQuest FLX-Mini Splitter's design better but $11.80 is too much for this type of cable.

Mar 26, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by argh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are my chances with this $1.88 cable? I like the AudioQuest FLX-Mini Splitter's design better but $11.80 is too much for this type of cable.

if its junk in the box, you're out what? $2? send it back or circle file it

or try monoprice, you'll probably spend less than a dollar a piece, and you can order two or three, if one is broken, you're still out what? $2?

Mar 26, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
actually the OP never asked for opinions or experience, he asked if there was actually a difference in SQ between the two styles of converter/adapter

reading the original post can be fun:
Is there a difference in sound quality between a 3.5mm jack splitter and adapter?

and if you're going to claim "higher quality cable will make it better SQ all the time forever I am right everyone who doesn't agree is wrong I win", prove it.

until then, there is no difference in SQ, and the only issues you could have are poor build quality (where the adapter actually falls apart, or is wired wrong (I've seen them come wired backwards, for example, simple mistakes like that)), or with the "boxy" style (where its a got zero cord length to it), bending/damaging the TRS output on whatever he's plugging into (especially if he's got 1/4" to 1/8" adapters in the mix as well), based on the second issue alone, I will (again) suggest the "cord type", just as I suggest the "cord type" 1/4" to 1/8" adapters (like the Grado one, as an example)

and on an unrelated note:
why the HELL does someone disagreeing with you have to lead to personal attacks?

I didn't attack you, I merely asked you a question, and suggested that your post, as well as some of your other responses to me in the past, had an IMO unnecessarily belligerent edge to them that may not be the most conducive to an open, friendly discussion.
smily_headphones1.gif
And the nature of my response had nothing to do with you agreeing or disagreeing with me. I was merely responding to you in the same spirit that you seem so fond of - with sarcasm and tongue-in-cheek. I did not mean to offend.

That said, questions regarding sound "quality" - including the one the OP asked - generally have a subjective element to them by their very nature. Thus, answers to said questions will often have a subjective component to them as well.

My subjective answer was based on my own personal experience with RS and AQ adapters - which made no mention of their specific relative build quality, I might add.
tongue.gif
But I certainly did not say anything approaching "I'm right, you're wrong, I win" so please stop putting words in my mouth. And you're more than welcome to disagree with my subjective answer - which apparently, you do.
smily_headphones1.gif

I do agree with you though that build-quality can make a difference. Crossed/improperly grounded wires, bad solder joints, loose connectors, incomplete shielding, etc can all affect the sound quality of an audio signal passing through them. But so can the materials/alloys used in the wires, solder joints, connectors, and/or shielding of the adapters. Especially if the design can vary so widely as FallenAngel pointed out (I don't know, I've never taken any apart to compare).

I don't know what makes the AQ adapter sound better (or rather I should say, degrade the sound less) to my ears than the 4-5 RS mini-adapters I've used. Maybe it's something in the materials. Maybe RS's quality-control sux and it's due to soddy workmanship. I don't know. But I do hear a difference in favor of the AQ adapter and felt that the OP should know that some of us do hear a difference between different adapters.

But like FallenAngel said, feel free to try and disprove my alleged delusions.
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why should I care? now if you don't mind, I'm going to use the $10 I saved by buying the "crap" adapter, and go buy some more music to enjoy, cheers
biggrin.gif

??? That's only like... ten songs or one or two albums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back