Difference in sound quality between Arcam CD73T and CD192?
Nov 10, 2006 at 12:38 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dead of night
Hi. I will be upgrading from the Arcam CD73T to the Arcam CD192. What differences will there be in terms of sound quality?

Never a big fan of Arcam CD players (had a bad alpha7SE).

Don't ask the question: get yourself a demo. This is really the only way to decide if the move is the right one

Nov 10, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Hi. I will be upgrading from the Arcam CD73T to the Arcam CD192. What differences will there be in terms of sound quality?

Why would you upgrade if you don't know the 192 will be any better? More to the point, why ask the question if you're so intent on doing it? How about telling us when you've finished the upgrade, I'm sure that a number of us would be interested.

Nov 10, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Sukebe
Why would you upgrade if you don't know the 192 will be any better? More to the point, why ask the question if you're so intent on doing it? How about telling us when you've finished the upgrade, I'm sure that a number of us would be interested.

Well I haven't performed the upgrade yet, perhaps I shouldn't, hence the question. Furthermore, Arcam is a reputable company, would they charge $1,000 more for a CD player if there were no noticable sound improvement? Also, I have read online professional reviews and they state that there is a marked improvement between both players.

Nov 10, 2006 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

How about telling us when you've finished the upgrade, I'm sure that a number of us would be interested.

Perhaps there are members who have already performed the upgrade, I'm sure a lot of us would be interested, again, hence my original post.

Nov 11, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 8
I'd like to find out more about the SQ difference between the 2 models too.

I'm pretty certain I'll be taking the DAC upgrade route too eventually, but it's going to be a huge money sink so I have to massively budget for it.
tongue.gif

Arcam says the DAC upgrade is $1200 in their June 2006 prices list, that doesn't seem right. The price diff between the two is only $1K, why would they charge more than that for the DAC module alone?

Nov 11, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
I'd like to find out more about the SQ difference between the 2 models too.

I'm pretty certain I'll be taking the DAC upgrade route too eventually, but it's going to be a huge money sink so I have to massively budget for it.
tongue.gif

Arcam says the DAC upgrade is $1200 in their June 2006 prices list, that doesn't seem right. The price diff between the two is only $1K, why would they charge more than that for the DAC module alone?

I'm only surmising but could the extra $200 be for labor?

Nov 13, 2006 at 9:03 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Well I haven't performed the upgrade yet, perhaps I shouldn't, hence the question. Furthermore, Arcam is a reputable company, would they charge $1,000 more for a CD player if there were no noticable sound improvement? Also, I have read online professional reviews and they state that there is a marked improvement between both players.

The important factor is: is there a worthwhile improvement for you, with your other equipment etc etc. I would be quite disappointed with a technically better cd player that didn't actually bring me any more enjoyment.

I use the reviews to draw up short lists only. When I worked in the industry I saw some pretty uninspiring stuff get some amazing reviews. I wouldn't like to think how much magazines and reviewers rely on advertising revenue. Imagine how long a magazine might last if it said the biggest speaker manufacturers products were all subpar........makes you look at reviews differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back