Difference in sound quality between an portable amp/dac combo and a dedicated home dac?
Jan 7, 2008 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

gallardo88

100+ Head-Fier
As the title states, would there be a significant sound quality increase between my portable amp/dac ( a leckerton uha-3) and a dedicated home DAC possibly in the 200-300 range?
Also, I have been contemplating whether to go th CD or PC route. I'm still unsure if I should get a cd player and hook up my amp to that or get a DAC and use my computer as a source. Which would be the most cost-efficient route?
thanks

Jan 16, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #3 of 3
There are so many choices these days that it is very confusing isn't it...I've ended up with a decent home DAC, which is really a pro audio piece of gear.

What I'm using as a home DAC/amp is the PreSonus Central Station that I bought after several months of slowly heading towards making a decision. I wanted a stand alone DAC but figured with the CS I'd get a nice amp too...and no regrets with my choice.The CS DAC does sound better than the DACs in my Pioneer Elite or Denon players...and that was my intended upgrade.

However, with my recent purchase of HeadAmps Pico, I've been using it full time as DAC & amp with my PC...it's really all that I need to be happy because it sounds excellent with all of my headphones.

I've realized that, for my needs, all I really need is my Pico but I won't be selling my other amps anytime soon...so I think a good DAC/amp paired with a PC is a very wise choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back