Difference in quality listening ALAC files on iPod vs FLAC files on Fiio X1 II?
Jul 9, 2018 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

davmanypsp

New Head-Fier
Hi, I have an iPod Classic (160GB) in wich I have some ALAC albums.

My question is: Will FLAC files played on a Fiio X1 II sound better than those ALAC files on the iPod?

I guess that the Fiio has much modern and better components, but I don't really know if it will be a difference in the quality and clarity/detail of the sound, because the ALAC is also some sort of losseless file format.

The headphones I use are Grado SR60e, Audio Technica ATH-M50x.

Sorry for my english and thanks in advance :)

Jul 9, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 8
FLAC and ALAC are both lossless formats. The only difference in sound will come from the hardware, not the software.

Jul 9, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #3 of 8
Thank you, then:

Is there a noticeable difference playing losseless formats with this 2 different hardware? I mean, I don't know if someone has both of them and appreciates a difference.

Thanks

Jul 9, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 8
I don't have any experience listening directly off an Apple device. I've heard some of their older devices have surprisingly good SQ, but I wouldn't know which ones are the "good" ones. Sorry, can't help, but it is a good question. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

You might also try asking in the Fiio X1 II thread.

Jul 10, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #5 of 8
Hi, I have an iPod Classic (160GB) in wich I have some ALAC albums.

My question is: Will FLAC files played on a Fiio X1 II sound better than those ALAC files on the iPod?

I guess that the Fiio has much modern and better components, but I don't really know if it will be a difference in the quality and clarity/detail of the sound, because the ALAC is also some sort of losseless file format.

The headphones I use are Grado SR60e, Audio Technica ATH-M50x.

The difference will have more to do with the higher output, lower THD+N amplifier circuit on the X1v2 vs the iPod's 5mW+ audio chip, apart from the deliberately warmer first gen X1.

The difference will likely be subtle in IEMs (although compared to a 15mW smartphone era audio chip it's definitely noticeable, though at the time, the X1's real advantage is the finer volume control vs the high gain software on my SGS3, but that got fixed by software updates) but likely will be more noticeable with those headphones.

Check if the X1 is compatible with ALAC, because if you convert it and still have iTunes on your computer, iTunes will recognize FLAC as audio files and even with manually separating and designating associated ALAC folders, iTunes will associate the FLAC to itself rendering them unplayable in other music player apps on that computer. Unless you don't have any other iOS devices and can get rid of iTunes altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back