Difference in Headphone Out Power
Jul 22, 2008 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

PixelSquish

Previously known as idiotekniques
can someone explain to me in layman's terms the difference, if any, between how much oomph the headphone out of the zune can be compared to say the headphone out of an ipod, sony & cowon player for example?

Jul 22, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 10
It's logarithmic, so you'd need ten times as much power to get twice as much volume.

Jul 22, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by idiotekniQues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can someone explain to me in layman's terms the difference, if any, between how much oomph the headphone out of the zune can be compared to say the headphone out of an ipod, sony & cowon player for example?

No, science in layman's terms is barely science.
tongue.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #6 of 10
My understanding is - The power rating from one manufacturer to another, differs. not by much or anything that signifigant...but its not exact

e.g the old sony hifi vs kenwood hifi rms measurements

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #7 of 10
Forget the power output. Headphones are voltage dependent. The higher the output voltage of a headamp is, the louder the headphone will sound. The power bit is able to give you an idea of how good the bas might be on low impedance cans. The voltage will tell you if high impedance cans would be of any use when connected to the headphone output.
Many manufacturers now use 3.3V and 5V audio chips. These are OK for earbuds, but haven't got the capability to drive like say a HD650 above more than a whisper. Sennheiser even warns against using low output voltage headmps on their site.

Jul 23, 2008 at 11:46 AM Post #9 of 10
output power cannot be determine by "louder".
some players can go very loud but do not mean they have better power output.

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by faichiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
output power cannot be determine by "louder".
some players can go very loud but do not mean they have better power output.

argh my brain!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back