Difference in between the Sony MDR-XB 500 and 700?
Feb 20, 2010 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Blade

New Head-Fier
Hey all. I'm looking forward to upgrade to some bass rich headphones. Even though I love my Sennheiser EH 150 in every way, I want something more worthwhile.

So it happens that I'm stuck in-between the Sony MDR-XB 500 and XB 700. What is the main sound difference in these two cans?

If anyone has evaluated both, could they please share their thoughts? Also, do the XB-700's require a amp for portable listening?

Thanks!
atsmile.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #2 of 4
Well if one note bass is what you're looking for, get the xb 700, the xb 500, just gives you less one note bass. I can't think of anything nice to say about sony xb series cans. Abd while headroom speaks fairly nice about them, while cornered on the phone, they are a little less enthusiastic. Laidback mids and highs is an understatement, I don't know your taste, or preferences, my advice would be to get the AT M50's still great bass, and sound is absolutely superior to the xb series.

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #3 of 4
The M50's you say? I'll look into them as well. I'm not in a rush to get new cans, it's just that my current cans are starting to bore me. I would just like to have that "wow" rush of new sound again.

Anyways, I listen to mostly sub-bass techno and some rock/alternative. I use my headphone with my MP3 players and my computer. I have to ask again, do the AT M50's would need a amp for portable listening to reach their full sound potential?

Huh, only 38Ohm for the AT M50's? Not bad.

Feb 20, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #4 of 4
They do fairly well unamped, but improve with a very modest amp. Even the fiio e5 will help them sharpen up. The fiio e5 isn't the last word in amping, but is a great little amp for 20 bucks and is so portable. Yes, your music genres should do nice on the m50.
Sony is aiming at the folks that want fat bass with the xb series ( I guess) They really aren't very good. they are better than those skullcandy skullcrushers that actually just seem to vibrate alot rather than actually make audible bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back