Difference between Xenos 1HA-EPC and 1HA-EPT
Feb 17, 2007 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

aaronylee

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Is there a big difference between these two amps to justify the $40 dollar difference between them?

I'm stretching my budget even considering the EPT so I'd like to know how the EPT compares to the EPC and to the Headphonia amp.

Thanks!

Feb 17, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #2 of 12
There is what should only be a minor difference, just large enough to justify the added/subtracted $40.

-EPT = Texas Instruments TPA6120 output stage, same as in the $349 CIAudio VHP-1 and VHP-2. So all in all it's a OPA2134 + a TPA6120 in the signl path.

-EPC = Complementary bipolar transistor pair output stage driven by a second OPA2134 opamp. So all in all it's two OPA2134 + the transistor buffer in the signal path.

Someone would really want to try the -EPT and let us know the sonic part of the matter. Sadly it appears that our much renowned multiple amp buyers just inevitably go for the costlier variant
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #3 of 12
No offense, but sadly is incorrect. The difference is worth the
few dollars, according to Alberto of Xenos when I spoke to him before the amps were released. Especially if you are running demanding headphones like 701s or 650s

Feb 17, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No offense, but sadly is incorrect. The difference is worth the
few dollars, according to Alberto of Xenos when I spoke to him before the amps were released. Especially if you are running demanding headphones like 701s or 650s

Which is bound to hint that the 1HA-EPC is a superior performer to CIAudio's new VHP-2. Sweet times for us headphiles with empty wallets, sweeeet
tongue.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #5 of 12
*cough* also based on the EPT stats, you're going to have slightly different SNR... i.e. HISS! This is also according to Alberto, who I asked about this 2 months ago...
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*cough* also based on the EPT stats, you're going to have slightly different SNR... i.e. HISS! This is also according to Alberto, who I asked about this 2 months ago...
biggrin.gif

I hope you are aware of the numbers. The rated S/N ratio of both amps would be remarkable for any music listener outside head-fi, or should I say a minority who will never ditch those evil IEMs and try with a normal headphone
tongue.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #7 of 12
Looking at the numbers on paper one would think so, but in all fairness I didn't receive "true" headphones until AFTER I sold the Xenos. SQ wise, the EPC was a great amp and priced very well... sometimes I do regret selling it.. but, I really don't need to start building a collection of amps.

Feb 17, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking at the numbers on paper one would think so, but in all fairness I didn't receive "true" headphones until AFTER I sold the Xenos. SQ wise, the EPC was a great amp and priced very well... sometimes I do regret selling it.. but, I really don't need to start building a collection of amps.

Yes you do! actually no you do not. At one time I had over 15 amps at the house. FOR SALE! guess what I did with the money?
rolleyes.gif
Bought more amps!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes you do! actually no you do not. At one time I had over 15 amps at the house. FOR SALE! guess what I did with the money?
rolleyes.gif
Bought more amps!
very_evil_smiley.gif

better that than dumping it into the beetle!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #12 of 12
I have never heard the EPT, but I am nonetheless fully convinced that the discrete output devices are a HUGE part of what makes the 1HA-EPC special. I would never even consider the EPT version. I think the extra money is easily worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back