Difference between the 58x and 6xx?
Oct 11, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #16 of 28
I think I'm going to go with the 58x over the 6xx.

Apparently the difference between the two is minimal with the 6xx slightly being better but I'd have to invest another $150 going with the 6xx to get an Amp with the $50 difference and $100 for an amp

Plus apparently the 58x are better for gaming and 6xx are apparently exclusively better for music.

So I figure the 58x are the closer all arounder.

Oct 11, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #17 of 28
I think I'm going to go with the 58x over the 6xx.

Apparently the difference between the two is minimal with the 6xx slightly being better but I'd have to invest another $150 going with the 6xx to get an Amp with the $50 difference and $100 for an amp

Plus apparently the 58x are better for gaming and 6xx are apparently exclusively better for music.

So I figure the 58x are the closer all arounder.
I don't own any of these so take my words with a grain of salt.
From my extensive research (scouring the internet like a mad man) what I have learned is the 6xx family scales with amps like no other. As you upgrade your amputory like most of us are destined to, you can squeeze the best sound under 1000$ out of these( allegedly). Now you don't have to get an amp to enjoy these and drive them of a phone for now, but the best sound you can get from them is years away. Instead of upgrading from 200$ to 500$ to 900$ headphones and buy suitable amps at each stage now you just have to buy amps when you want a slight upgrade and that is way better, but this is only true if you fall in love with them like thousands of people have which may not happen and also I'm no authority on these.But while 58x might be better for the first few months, when you do have enough money for an amp you may get buyers remorse. I might be buying hd600 tomorrow for an excellent bargain if someone doesn't get them first :D fingers crossed

Oct 11, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #18 of 28
I have question for fiio A5 amp owners here. Is it a good pairing with hd600?
I have a pretty good warm-neutral iem. I'd like to make hd600 as neutral as possible or slightly bright-neutral, does the A5 add any warmth or smoothness?

Oct 11, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #19 of 28
So i just tried the HD58X with my Audio-GD NFB-11.28 DAC/amp and Darkvoice 336SE OTL tube head amp (using the NFB-11.28 DAC function for the 336SE).
I think I'm hearing a slightly bloated bass, using the 336SE.
So i'm guessing using an OTL tube, with the HD58X, would not be as desirable as a solid state.

Wow and 150ohms isn't even that low and the DV336se has better control than other OTLs (the LD MII bloated my 300ohm HD600; even with weaker bass on newer pads, it still had too much bloom, and not enough snap when needed).

Yeah I guess people have strong opinion on comparing them to their current line outside of massdrop

So essentially if I'm understanding this, If I have an amp and want clarity and clearer sound, The 6xx would be a better investment but would cost me about $150 more ($50 more for the headphones, $100 for an amp)

Barring using very low output voltage mobile devices, it's still better to use an amp on both of them.

Don't think about the price, think of the difference in response and how people take to them.

Oct 11, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #20 of 28
Yeah I guess people have strong opinion on comparing them to their current line outside of massdrop

So essentially if I'm understanding this, If I have an amp and want clarity and clearer sound, The 6xx would be a better investment but would cost me about $150 more ($50 more for the headphones, $100 for an amp)
Yes - that would be my opinion anyway.

BTW, you can spend $thousands on the amp and the 6XX/650 will continue to show improvement. It can be an end game headphone, if you want. The current pricing is unbelievable when you consider it was once one of the finest headphones in the world. I also recommend the Dekoni elite fenestrated sheepskin pads. I was never into pads that much, and usually preferred the Senn velour to anything else, but the Dekoni sheepskin ones are simply amazing.

Oct 11, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #21 of 28

BTW, you can spend $thousands on the amp and the 6XX/650 will continue to show improvement. It can be an end game headphone, if you want. The current pricing is unbelievable when you consider it was once one of the finest headphones in the world. I also recommend the Dekoni elite fenestrated sheepskin pads. I was never into pads that much, and usually preferred the Senn velour to anything else, but the Dekoni sheepskin ones are simply amazing.

The problem is right now I can't really splurge like that. $200 for the headphones, then $100-$150 for the amp. I'd be looking at the $300-$350 range. Throw in earpads, its $400 now

If the difference in sound isn't marginally huge, I think the 58x would better suit me then at the $150 price.

Oct 11, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #22 of 28
Wow and 150ohms isn't even that low and the DV336se has better control than other OTLs (the LD MII bloated my 300ohm HD600; even with weaker bass on newer pads, it still had too much bloom, and not enough snap when needed).
I'm going to make a guess Sennheiser made the HD58X to require less voltage then the HD600/HD650/HD6XX, but the HD58X might require more current (guessing).

Oct 11, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #23 of 28

Are the 6xx any good for gaming?

A lot of people seem to suggest the 58x

Oct 11, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #24 of 28
By reputation, the HD600/HD650/HD6XX do not offer as good a surround sound feature as other headphones.
For FPS gaming, buy a used Sennheiser HD558 (or HD598).
Audio Technica ATH-AD700(X) have a good rep for surround sound (but are very bass light).

I really like the sound of my HD58X, but I'm not into surround sound gaming.

Oct 11, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #25 of 28

Good yes, great no, that would be the HD660s its King for gaming!. Ok would be the HD600 not the greatest though for gaming & personally i'd avoid.
The HD6XX has just enough soundstage & imaging to work well with FPS games. The imaging is about as accurate as the HD660s but not as good.... so you get the full accurate circle of hearing but its distance isnt as good compared to the HD660s for long range e.g. sniper shots But gaming audio often messes that up or "silencer" stops that audio so kinda a Null factor for gaming going for the longer distance positional audio. Compared the Audio-technica which often lacks in the rear audio position. The HD660s is more accurate than the Audio-technica as well, the lower numbers (500/700/900x) are good for close range & the 1000x is good for mid/long range but not as accurate with close sounds but you get used to it, You will never hear someone walk up behind you though!. (The 2000x is just bad & off with imaging in games, you don't notice how bad it is until you use something better! But its the one that does that rear audio!)
The HD6XX will keep you on your toes a bit more because distance sounds will sound a little closer but close sounds will be pretty accurate. Its audio signature is very close to the Generic gaming headset audio but slight soundstage & imaging puts it above those for gaming & enjoyment (music/sounds in games).

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #26 of 28
Good yes, great no, that would be the HD660s its King for gaming!. Ok would be the HD600 not the greatest though for gaming & personally i'd avoid.
The HD6XX has just enough soundstage & imaging to work well with FPS games. The imaging is about as accurate as the HD660s but not as good.... so you get the full accurate circle of hearing but its distance isnt as good compared to the HD660s for long range e.g. sniper shots But gaming audio often messes that up or "silencer" stops that audio so kinda a Null factor for gaming going for the longer distance positional audio. Compared the Audio-technica which often lacks in the rear audio position. The HD660s is more accurate than the Audio-technica as well, the lower numbers (500/700/900x) are good for close range & the 1000x is good for mid/long range but not as accurate with close sounds but you get used to it, You will never hear someone walk up behind you though!. (The 2000x is just bad & off with imaging in games, you don't notice how bad it is until you use something better! But its the one that does that rear audio!)
The HD6XX will keep you on your toes a bit more because distance sounds will sound a little closer but close sounds will be pretty accurate. Its audio signature is very close to the Generic gaming headset audio but slight soundstage & imaging puts it above those for gaming & enjoyment (music/sounds in games).

I wanna stick to the 58x and 6xx though I appreciate you bringing up ATH

so essentially, the 6xx isn't as good for analytical play when it comes to gaming so the 58x would be the better choice

The 6xx however would provide a better clarity for music but not help as well with positioning in games.

Nov 15, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #28 of 28

$100 for the amp is a bit low balling it. If you really want to get the most out of a headphone like the 6xx throw a good DAC and AMP at it. I have both of them. The 58x is a great headphone but the vocal clarity of the 6xx is unmatched on a good setup. If you don't already have one and you like rock, pop and blues or other non-vocal centric genres you can't go wrong with the 58x for the price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back