Difference between sr-125 and sr-225
Sep 21, 2001 at 6:43 PM Post #16 of 28
This is, of course, rubbish. Why would they continue to build the SR225 when a critical part is not available? And the drivers of the 225 and 325 ARE the same, both "de-stressed" with ultra pure copper and matched to same tolerances (0.5db). assuming Grados literature is correct, which I would assume it to be.

Imagine buying a Chevrolet and the sales guy telling you "We ran out of the regular seats so we substituted a lawnchair but we gave you a Pontiac engine".

This is nonsense. If you don't have the part you stop building. That rear screen is of utmost importance to the sound.

Sep 21, 2001 at 7:51 PM Post #17 of 28
I dunno beagle - a fairer comparison would be "we ran out of chevy luxury chairs, so we gave you a budget model chair, and substituted a pontiac engine."
smily_headphones1.gif

I personally think it makes perfect sense......supply and demand.....they had to do SOMETHING.....can't just stop (!) making cans......

Sep 21, 2001 at 8:12 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

That rear screen is of utmost importance to the sound.

sarcasm, right?
tongue.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

and I think it's pretty cool they put 325 drivers in there cause they ran out of screens. exactly the way a niche-market business should work IMO. they have a problem and they solve it like this, thumbs up for Grado.

Sep 21, 2001 at 8:19 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

they had to do SOMETHING.....can't just stop (!) making cans......

So instead you build them to improper specifications? Not good policy, if you ask me.

Can you imagine if they put a plastic grill on someones RS-1?

Sep 21, 2001 at 8:25 PM Post #20 of 28
true, very true......

I dunno. I personally wouldn't mind having one of those "tweaked" 225s - but I *would* hate it if, as you said, I had plastic housings on RS-1s (!).....

Sep 22, 2001 at 5:14 AM Post #22 of 28
I don't know what to think here.
Superficially, it looks pretty neat: a better driver to compensate
for a worse rear screen.
But:
How can you claim that your phones are the result of thousands of hours of R&D where all parts are tuned to achieve the best performance together.... and then you plug in a driver that is supposed t work in an aluminium housing...

I don't know about this.
I should add though that Grado said if somebody has concerns about this special 225 they can send it in and they will replace it

Bye

Redwoood

Sep 22, 2001 at 7:49 PM Post #23 of 28
Lini, How do you like that Expanium 201 mp3/cd-player? How's the sound? Here in Bangkok we buy "compilation" CDs full of mp3 (someone buys, say, every Beatles album, rips them into mp3 and then mass produces them on CD. The cost to own every Beatles or Pink Floyd album? $2.50) and I need a player. How's that Phillips?

Sep 22, 2001 at 8:17 PM Post #24 of 28
So for those people that got 225's with the 325 drivers and a plastic screen can send in their headphones to Grado, and get a metal screen - therefore having a 325 for the price of a 225? If that's the truth... what a deal.

Sep 22, 2001 at 9:06 PM Post #25 of 28
chadbang: I already answered your pm and thus shouldn't disturb the thread here.

Greetings from SF!

Lini

Sep 22, 2001 at 11:27 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

So for those people that got 225's with the 325 drivers and a plastic screen can send in their headphones to Grado, and get a metal screen - therefore having a 325 for the price of a 225? If that's the truth... what a deal

How on earth would they suddenly have a SR325 with only the screen and the drivers? Didn't you forget the aluminum housing and the OFC copper cord?

AND ONCE AGAIN....IS EVERYONE LISTENING? THE SR225 DRIVERS AND SR325 DRIVERS ARE THE SAME DRIVERS!!!!

Sep 23, 2001 at 12:03 AM Post #27 of 28
Again I'd like to quote Grado labs:

Quote:

There are differences between all our driver models, but what we do to them
are trade secrets, you'll have to take our word

Well, I guess we'll have to....

Bye

Redwoood

Sep 23, 2001 at 2:01 AM Post #28 of 28
That's what they all say...

Gotta justify the price somehow, right?

I guess the RA-1 op-amp/circuitry was also a "secret" until it was recently exposed. I am a big Grado booster but lately my suspicions are being aroused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back