Difference between speakers and phones.. Wow
Apr 17, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #16 of 47
I tried to hook up my ER4S with a 10 meter extension cable, then hooked up to the headphone out on my home integrated amp. To me, the sound just didn't seem right, there just seemed to be loss of "liveliness." When I unhooked the extension cable, and hooked up the ER4S directly into the headphone out jack, the "liveliness" returned.

Is it possible that the extension cable is adding more resistance?

Apr 17, 2004 at 1:43 AM Post #18 of 47
Here is an authoritative explanation from Audio Asylum, which bears out the previous post:

The higher impedance you are working with (the output impedance of the amplifier), the more effect cable capacitance and inductance (and other electrical parameters/properties of the cable) will have. The higher impedance you go and the more capacitance and inductance you have in the cable then you will start rolling off high frequencies as you will be making a simple Low Pass Filter. Cable capacitance and inductance increases with the length of the cable. For example, if you have a given cable that measures, say, 30pF per foot (typical), if that cable is 10 feet long you will be presenting a 300pF capacitive load to the thing driving that cable.

Apr 17, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #19 of 47
I agree with Newmanoc that a well set-up audiophile quality speakers system takes you to new level of sonic enjoyment. Headphones are good, versatile and very price effective, but I still find that you need a speakers system to take you to the next level of sonic realism.

That said, speakers based system are very demanding - both on the wallet and "breathing" space - to acheive their best. Increasingly I've been neglecting my modest speakers setup because I work so much at home and don't have the luxury of sitting in the "sweet spot" in front of my speakers. Additionally, my small clustered apartment inhibits my speakers to acheive their maximum capabilities.

In the long run, it is my dream to get a truly "pimped out" speakers system and a dedicated listening room. Until then, I suspect that headphones will continue to give me a slice of audio nirvana.

Apr 17, 2004 at 5:05 AM Post #20 of 47
Another convert. How cool. Too bad far too many will never give cans a fair shake. I guess only they will lose by not doing so, but it is frustrating dealing with people like that.

Apr 17, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #22 of 47
I keep the speakers in reserve now... for when the kids want to dance. Ever since clarity has a new standard at our house, the etys.

I had a mate come over and he was listening to the new NAD C542 hooked up to my NAD T741 amp and Krix speakers. He said, wow that's fantastic... I couldn't believe he thought so. I decided to "sacrific" a pair of foamies on the etys for him, plugged him into the same album and he was BLOWN away. He had never heard clarity like the etymotics before (me either).

He looked at the etys and then at the $3,000 dollars worth of speakers he just praised and agreed with me... speakers are just not up to it. It was all I could do to get him back to the dinner table... he, he, I see a future head-fi member coming up!

I am sure there are full sized open headphones, as opposed to canalphones, that deliver the same clarity as the etys. When I find them, they will be my next purchase (if I can afford it). Not because of any fault of the etys but just because I get so absorbed I don't remember to answer the phone.

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Apr 17, 2004 at 7:55 AM Post #23 of 47
Quote:

They probably sound better than the Klipsch speakers. I have never heard any Klipsch speakers that I have liked.

Have you tried the Klipsh reference models? the sound blows me away on the Movie demos sporting towers and bass that is ass kicking and smooth. I am getting the Ultras cause I can't afford the RF7s and svs subs right now..sometime. I can't say you will love these, if you aren't into spacious but very upfront sound. Its perfect for movies. Let your ears be the judge.
remember folks that sub sonic frequencies are more felt t han heard, to recreate the most true accurate sound a subwoofer is needed for low sounds, cause a lot of perception is through your bones.And sound gets to pass through the air before it reaches your head, its most natural than something in your ear.
Bang for the buck goes for headphones hands down.

Apr 17, 2004 at 8:59 AM Post #24 of 47
Both headphones and speakers have their place, no pair of headphones, I mean absolutely none can deliver the life-like experience of the Beolab 5s. However headphones are a more intimate experience and you hear some stuff that you easily miss with speakers because of the speaker -room interaction or surrounding ambient noise. There is some stuff that I first noticed on my headphones that I had missed on my speakers, they were always there just that I had missed it because of the ambient noise.

Apr 17, 2004 at 3:48 PM Post #25 of 47
Yeah, thats why musicans have studio monitors and headphones. You need both, so its funny when people tell me flat out that headphones are in all ways better than speakers. Thats bs, if you are a private unsocial person who does not share his movies or believe that subsonic bass should be felt as well as heard, then fine.

Apr 17, 2004 at 5:21 PM Post #26 of 47
You have to invest at least five times as much money in a speaker setup as your headphone setup to create sonic equals.

I haven't heard a speaker setup yet that equals even the HD600/cardas through vinyl,, mmm..

Cheers,
Geek

Apr 17, 2004 at 5:24 PM Post #27 of 47
to equal your hd600 setup you need a dynaudio contour
wink.gif
according to the ear who has readily auditions them and owns hd600.

Apr 17, 2004 at 7:47 PM Post #28 of 47
Yeah I used to LOVE my nforce2 soundstorm audio connected to my logitech z-680s UNTIL I bought an iMP-350 and Senn 497s a couple months ago...

and I already want to upgrade
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #29 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Geek
You have to invest at least five times as much money in a speaker setup as your headphone setup to create sonic equals.

I haven't heard a speaker setup yet that equals even the HD600/cardas through vinyl,, mmm..

Cheers,
Geek

You think so? My headphones setup cost around $1,400 and my loudspeakers setup cost roughly the same (they share the same source though). The headphones have better details and bass extension, but my speakers have better sonic realism (albeit you have to stick to the "sweet spot").

Can't quite say that whether my headphones beat my current speakers setup hands down or vice versa. But, if I add a better power amp, and subwoofer, I think the speakers setup will come out on tip. The upgrade should come out to around $1,300 extra. So, that's twice the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back