Difference Between Shure E4C and SCL4
Sep 25, 2007 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

pookyman

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I sent my E4C's in for repair and got a pair of SCL4's in return. I've never heard of the SCL4's and was wondering if there was a difference between the two?

Thanks in advance.

Sep 25, 2007 at 9:58 AM Post #3 of 9
yeah, there's no difference, the scl4 was just the name they gave whent he professionals bought them (i.e musicians). Usually they're about a shade darker too i think.

Oct 11, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 9
I just had the same experience. Lost a channel on my E4Cs, and did the RMA with Shure Canada. Just got the SCL4 in exchange, and they look almost identical, finish is slightly different, a combination of two textures, glossy and matte.

Right out of the box they are similar, excellent reproduction with acoustic strings, great imaging. One thing that's missing is the high-end rollof. I used to use the iPod treble boost, especially when the E4Cs were breaking in, but it is not necessary with this pair.

Either there has been some slight modification, or my my high freq sensitivity has improved.

Oct 11, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #6 of 9
Oh, one other change is that the SCL4 package includes 3 pairs of black olive foamies, one in each size. Nice!!

Oct 12, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #7 of 9
as i mentioned in another thread, i think that shure renamed the E series to SCL (shure classic line) to avoid confusion with its current line, but thats just my theory, and now to who shot JFK.....

Jan 6, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #8 of 9
I HOPE that the SCL series is an updated version of the E's cords. I have heard a lot of people saying that their E-series' cords break apart after a while (I'm fearing that my 2nd pair will too,).

I just realized that my E4's are actually SCL-4's, and if they send the SCL's as replacements, maybe they changed the cord material etc? Especially because there's reference to the cord length?

Anyone have other ideas?
frown.gif

Jan 6, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #9 of 9
I used to have the Shure e4C, the dark grey ones. When the cord was worn trought, Shure was so kind to repalce them with Shure E4G, the black ones with shorter cords.
I expected them to sound exactly the same, but strangely the E4G missed a lot bass and therefore fulness compared to the E4C, so much that listening was no longer the enjoyable experience I had with the E4C. Weird...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back