Difference between recording mp3 in "Stereo" vs "8 Channel"
Aug 10, 2015 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

YakAttack

New Head-Fier
For the longest I've used Nero to record output my mixes, using 48000 - 32 bit as the default output.  However, I've always just selected Stereo.  However, in an attempt to raise the quality of the mix, I was thinking of doing 8 channel.  When I hear it (through my Sennheiser HD 25's), the overall volume seems lower, though (and I may be ideally be hearing things that aren't there), it seems the soundstage is more open, and the music is a little more distinct.

From what I read, 8 channel allows all channels to be used in speakers, but I would presume that's if you have more than a couple of speakers.  What I would like to know is if I record in 8 Channel, and put it in my car, or a stereo with more than 2 speakers, would there be a noticeable difference in quality?

PS:  Just noticed that when saving in 8 Channel mode, the size of the file is a lot bigger (guess due to the separation of channels), but it always stops around 46 minutes (whereas my mixes usually are an hour to hour and 5 minutes).  Is this normal in Nero?

Thank you 

Aug 11, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #2 of 6
Can't see how taking a 2-channel source and expanding it to 8-channels improves audio quality.
Your headphones only take a 2-channel input, so can't see how your hearing 8-channels?

Aug 11, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 6
Most cars have stereo sound systems rather than 'multi channel'. Although they typically have 4 speakers, it is normally 2x stereo, for the benefit of passengers in the back and front, so both left channels are the same and both right channels are the same. So adding extra channels in nero won't add anything to listening to it in your car - unless you have some dvd based system in your car with additional channels wired in.

Aug 11, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 6
Still trying to understand how you can listen to 8-channels of audio thru headphones or a 4 speaker car stereo?
As you would normally on hear 2-channel of your 8-channel recording, when listening thru headphones.
I think there is some missing piece of information about your audio setup that you have not explained?

Aug 11, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #6 of 6
Unless you've 5.1/7.1 Surround sound (PC) mediaplayer (MPC HC)/decoder etc. to play it with 5.1/7.1 (hometheater) Speaker setup or Headphone Surround decoder, its useless to play it on Stereo will give only L/R channel outputs.
Nero WaveEditor
--
Advanced audio editing and recording is a snap with Nero WaveEditor. Produce high quality audio creations with up to 7.1 channels. Various filtering and sound optimization methods help you create individual audio files quickly and easily. Nero WaveEditor is used and trusted by IT professionals worldwide.

New effects and an effect graphical user interface enable a camera denoiser effect, convolution reverb effect, and digital monitoring.
Main features

* Surround sound editing with up to 7.1 channels
* Multichannel optimized effects (for surround sound 5.1 and 7.1 with/without subwoofer channel)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back