Difference between open and closed headphones?
May 21, 2008 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Shlonglor

100+ Head-Fier
What are the pros and cons of each?

I currently have closed headphones, which I guess are better for noise canceling (which is important for me, since I like immersion). Is there any other differentiating quality between closed and open phones?

May 21, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 7
Closed headphones will invariably have a "closed headphone sound" which is the sound of the bass frequencies reverberating inside the housing and causing resonances. It may be better controlled in high-end models, but all closed headphones will exhibit to some extent.

May 21, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Closed headphones will invariably have a "closed headphone sound" which is the sound of the bass frequencies reverberating inside the housing and causing resonances. It may be better controlled in high-end models, but all closed headphones will exhibit to some extent.

Is that necessarily a bad thing?
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shlonglor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that necessarily a bad thing?
biggrin.gif

Technically, it is very bad and definitely undesirable.

On a personal level, it can be a very good thing if you like the sound.

May 21, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 7
Obvious difference is that closed headphone isolates you from outside and open doesnt.
biggrin.gif

Generally speaking, closed headphones can produce much stronger and better extended bass all the way down to limits of hearing, because they wont leak away and lose power but it isnt always very clean bass. This reverbing/echoing might also affect midrange and highs quality. Sound is also bit closed in. These traits of course vary from headphone to headphone, there are very high end closed headphone aswell with very good mids and highs are controlled bass.

Open headphone can have airier and cleaner midrange, bass and treble by design as there is less echoing interference. And sound is also more open. However, bass lacks power in the sub frequencies, and even if they can extend well measurably, the bass power is very weak down there. Its like it vanishes in thin air, the small driver cant move that much air in open enviroment? I have yet to hear an open headphone (not that I have heard all of them) that has such power in subbass frequencies that it really matters for music and give something for it, its mostly its just midbass punch you here. (and luckily there can be it in spades in open headphones to compensate the lack of sub-power)

May 21, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 7
I'll stick with closed headphones, then. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back