Difference between Microsoft Windows (Vista) volume control and FB2K's volume control
May 20, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #16 of 37
It depends on how much you want to attenuate digitally and also your setup. Guess it's obvious that it doesn't make sense to crank your interface/speakers up but then attenuate a lot digitally to reach a comfortable level.

May 20, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #17 of 37
That's what I'm saying. The best results come from having zero, or near zero, digital attenuation, and adjusting volume through analog controls alone, IMHO.

May 20, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #18 of 37
Analog controls also add noise, can cause channel imbalance (this doesn't happen with digital) and are far from 'lossless'.

It's not like an analog volume control 'tells' the amp to amplify the signal less or more, but usually the amplification factor (= gain) is fixed and the analog volume control attenuates the signal before it's amplified again.
Ever heard noise or channel imbalance coming from a pot? 
frown.gif
 And from a digital volume control? 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #19 of 37
Fair enough. With dedicated hardware available with both digital and analog volume controls, which do you prefer? And no, a computer doesn't fall in the equation for the purpose of the question.

May 20, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #21 of 37
Quote:
Fair enough. With dedicated hardware available with both digital and analog volume controls, which do you prefer? And no, a computer doesn't fall in the equation for the purpose of the question.

This is the computer audio forum, right? :D Anyway, many if not most portable players have a digital one. There are also very high-end DACs with digital volume controls, like the Alpha DAC (~ $5000).

Quote:
A knob with a smooth action will always feel better.
wink.gif

Yeah I remember my old stereo which had a really (unrealistically) smooth volume knob - it controlled the volume digitally
tongue.gif

May 20, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #23 of 37
I too, would like to know the cons of digital attenuation.
I thought that digital attenuation on the digital side before the DAC stage is the best one.
I mean it is easy to make the attenuation to retain all the resolution of the data.
One just have to scale the data before attenuating, lets say 16 bit to 24 bit, then one can attenuate to 2^8 steps without losing any resolution (to rounding error).

May 20, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #24 of 37
I use both. Though when I'm on the computer I tend to control the volume with my keyboard only (therefore digitally). Most of the time my volume adjustments are within a small range so this approach works imo very well. Definitely prefer this to taking my hands off the keyboard to fiddle with a pot.
I also use the keyboard to control my player (which is minimized most of the time).

May 20, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #25 of 37
Quote:
One just have to scale the data before attenuating, lets say 16 bit to 24 bit, then one can attenuate to 2^8 steps without losing any resolution (to rounding error).

In practice the player (e.g. foobar2000) decodes your music directly into 32-bit floating point samples, attenuates them (or leaves this job to the Windows Mixer), and then you can choose to output the result as 24-bit samples (if your DAC supports that). If the input files were 16-bit then, as you said, you basically have 8 bits or 7 (+ 1 bit dithering) of 'digital attenuation headroom'. 8 bits are about -48 dB attenuation.

May 21, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #26 of 37

Quote:
I use both. Though when I'm on the computer I tend to control the volume with my keyboard only (therefore digitally). Most of the time my volume adjustments are within a small range so this approach works imo very well. Definitely prefer this to taking my hands off the keyboard to fiddle with a pot.
I also use the keyboard to control my player (which is minimized most of the time).

I prefer that too, it's very comfortable adjusting the volume with the keyboard and besides I don't think I would notice any difference between adjusting the volume on the amp or on Windows.

May 21, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #27 of 37
Still, nothing beats the fine grain adjustments of analog. By far.

May 21, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #28 of 37
Quote:
Still, nothing beats the fine grain adjustments of analog. By far.

Foobar2000 Preferences - Advanced - Playback - Volume step (dB): here you can enter any value, for example something ridiculous like 0.01 dB.

The Windows Mixer also can be controlled to change the overall system volume in smaller steps, for example with an AutoHotkey script.
(technical side note: the steps can be about 20*log10((2^16-1)/2^16) = 0.00013 dB small)

May 21, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #29 of 37

Quote:

Foobar2000 Preferences - Advanced - Playback - Volume step (dB): here you can enter any value, for example something ridiculous like 0.01 dB.

The Windows Mixer also can be controlled to change the overall system volume in smaller steps, for example with an AutoHotkey script.
(technical side note: the steps can be about 20*log10((2^16-1)/2^16) = 0.00013 dB small)

It's not just about the value adjustments, but the manual control itself. And no, a mouse, or touch surface is nothing compared to a pot.

May 21, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #30 of 37
Pots suck for the most part, even Blue Velvets.  I can always hear the channel imbalance and it pisses me off.  That's why on the M^3 I built I used relays that control matched resistors for volume control, and that is also why the new mobile amps don't use analog pots anymore.  Really they aren't a very good solution for volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back