Difference between Koss: TBSE1 and DJ200
Jun 7, 2012 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SilverEagle

New Head-Fier
Hey guy,

I've been thinking about picking up the Koss:TBSE1, which from what I understand is based on the Koss DJ100. Recently, I've heard about the Koss DJ200 and I'm wondering if Koss has made some significant upgrades to the internals of the headphone or if it is just a DJ100 with a few extra features (detachable, in-line controls, etc). From the images and the spec it looks about the same, but you can't tell much from just looking at specs. So if anyone has come across any information I’d appreciate it, because I’m having trouble deciding whether to pick the Koss TBSE1 up or wait till I can get the DJ200.

Thanks guys.

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 5
TBSE1 comes with a case, removable coiled cable (no straight cable), cups with signature and an album download. Considering it's only $25 more, it's a good deal...if you need the extras.

The DJ200 includes a detachable cable with MIC and remote on it's straight cable. No signature on the cups (which some prefer) and also includes a case. Think it might come with a coiled cable.

I have the DJ100 and TB version and don't think they sound any different. If there's any difference it's quite small. I know the DJ100's signature in and out, but haven't compared both with A/B comparisons.

I felt the TB did sound a tiny bit better, but I didn't say anything because it's probably my head playing tricks. If anything it's like less than a 2% difference.

I looked at the TBs cups and inside it the dozen or so holes behind the driver go straight to the aluminum cups. On the DJ100 the holes are not drilled straight down to the metal. I don't have a clue why there is a difference or if this changed anything. Maybe less resonance? No clue.

I prefer the TB because being able to use your own DIY cable is kind of nice.

Jun 19, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 5
Do you have a decent headphone amp? One thing is certain, you need an amp when considering the Koss DJx00s. When I listened to the DJ200s unamped at BestBuy I was QUITE unimpressed. Then again, my HFI-780s don't need amping.

Tdockweiler is right, the price difference is almost negligible, but even he knows that a good amp is needed before you can make any real judgments -- they're just begging for more juice.

As a plug, you can find the HFI580 and HFI780 on amazon for around $150-160. Act now for pure unamped Ultrasone goodness before it's too late! Of course, the Ultrasone house sound is unlike that of Koss, so be wary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back